Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,718   Posts: 1,514,837   Online: 944

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Ease of focusing Hasselblad vs. Rolleiflex

I've tried everything I can think of and still find my 500C/M difficult to focus consistently. Using the 45 degree prism and an Acute Matte D screen has improved things, but I still struggle with getting things focused as quickly and accurately as I'd like.

I would be interested to hear how focusing a Rolleiflex compares. The only other TLR I've used is an old Minolta Autocord, which I found a bit easier to focus than the Hasselblad, but it has since broken.

So pretending everything else is equal, which do you find easier to focus, the Hasselblad 500C/M or the Rolleiflex.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For me, both cameras are about the same.

Footprint is different for each hence one may be easier to handle with your hand than the other.

The ladies seem to like Rolleiflex the best. Maybe because it's smaller, less intrusive, they get more comfortable with the Rollei. For a pro model it doesn't make any difference.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jack,

Do you have this problem with all the lenses, or just one? Describe what lens you're using. We may have some ideas.

In practice I find I use the depth of field scales on my older C series lenses help a lot with sharp focus zones.

I've used both the 2.8F Rolleiflex and 500CMs, and also the Rollei SL66, which I found THE most difficult to focus reliably. I prefer the Hasselblad over all. I use the Acute Matte in my 500ELX, and the Beattie in the 500CM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's wrong with the autocord that you don't want to have it repaired?

I have the same trouble with my blad's, got to be on a tripod and have plenty of time to dial her in. I have a little less trouble with the 150, but the 250, 80, and 50 give me about the same amount of grief.

Have a Koni Omega 100 that's faster than my 35mm stuff to focus, guess which gets used the most?

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kreeger View Post

I've used both the 2.8F Rolleiflex and 500CMs, and also the Rollei SL66, which I found THE most difficult to focus reliably. I prefer the Hasselblad over all. I use the Acute Matte in my 500ELX, and the Beattie in the 500CM.
    and I am opposite...

I hold the SL66 first (I have the "E" type, and the screen is nice and bright - and the focusing knob on the side is - for me - much easier than the front focusing of hasselblad..)- then the rollei 2,8, and I just cant focus proberly with the hassy....

Maybe ones eyes makes the difference? I can't focus with a leica either (which is a good thing, as I don't have to even consider that camera....)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to repair your Autocord, the man to contact is Karl Bryan: karl.kathy "at " frontier.com

He did a great job with mine, reasonable.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    And if you don't want to pay to repair it, pm me. I've been dabbling in camera repair this year. I'm always looking for interesting cameras to work on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all. It's probably a number of factors. The first time I used the 45 Prism everything from my first half-dozen rolls was way out of focus. Then I realized it had a diopter adjustment . I have the 150mm and the 80mm but I almost always use the 80. I suspect the screen I'm using may be another problem. I mostly shoot people, and they typically don't come with nice, straight vertical lines, so I find myself trying to eyeball good focus _outside_ of the center split image. I'm wondering if I should try a screen without the split.

So then the Rollie will be similar to the Autocord, focusing-wise? I do intend to fix the Minolta someday. Unless someone tells me that the Rollieflex is significantly easier to focus, that's probably what I'll do.

I love everything about the Hasselblad - except focusing it.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I to have found the Hassy somewhat difficult to focus reliably and quickly... I know this sounds like lame advice, but really it's practice, practice, practice... you just get used to seeing images 'pop' with the acute-matte after time. It's just such a different experience from most other cameras I have used. My limited experience with the Rollei is that's it's about the same to focus and likewise the Bronica SQ. The only camera I have tried in that (similar) format which is quicker IMO is the Mamiya 7.

How long have you been using your Hasselblad? It could just be you need some more time...
    Last edited by mesh; 11-21-2010 at 08:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: bad spelling ;-)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've owned a Hasselblad and Bronica SQ-A before. I've just recently acquired a Mamiya C330. So far I absolutely love this camera. I find the C330 so much easier to focus than either the Hassy or Bronny. I'm looking to upgrade the screen to have an even brighter and easier time focusing. I do not have any experience with a Rolleiflex TLR though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin