Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,593   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kiev 88 Lens Options

So I'm looking for a telephoto lens for my Kiev 88. Currently I only have the 80mm and 30mm lens.

I've research the options for a while, but am looking for some other opinions.

The Jupiter 36 looks a little too large to be very useful. Additionally, the minimum focus isn't very close.

The Kaleinar 150mm looks like a good lens, but it seems to be really large and heavy. It's also ~$200, which is about double what I paid for the camera body. I'm considering it, but the size and price make it a little less appealing.

The Vega 28 looks like the best option, but I can't find one for sale. I have checked ebay and molotok with no luck. 120mm isn't all that long, but it is acceptable.

I could also buy the 2x teleconverter. It is available and reasonable priced. If I am correct, that means the attached lens would lose 2 f stops. This isn't ideal, but isn't a total deal breaker. I have had no luck finding example images on flickr. Does anybody have examples? I'm concerned that there might me image quality loss.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with you on the Jupiter 36. It's a tank. I have the 2x, but I have never gotten around to using it. I plan to use it with the 250.

Part can be taken out and used as an extension tube, which is kind of handy. My answer is not much help, I know.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most likely you could find a kaleinar for bit less than $200. At least you can in Pentacon mount. One disadvantage of the Kaleinar is that it is not very close focusing. However, it is a nice focal length for portraits.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Vega 28 - it came attached to a Kiev 60. I think I bought it on eBay, but it was a few years ago. You may need to search for Kiev 88 and Kiev 60 cameras being sold as kits as well.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With MF, no long lens is really small. Using a doubler in bright light is ok, but you are already at a disadvantage with DOF in MF. Doubling your length with a doubler is no match for getting closer with respect to sharpness.

I have one and rarely use it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    250 mm Russian or Ukranian lens is a version of Zeiss Sonnar and it is excellent. Why someone would want to buy a tele lens for MF with close range focusable. No need for that. They are not portrait lenses but composing a very distant composition in a small film.
    I tried it for many years and it was excellent. Than I searched other Russians and no closer to that lens in ergonomy , easy to use and weight. It is excellent.
    By the way , there are lots of East German Zeiss Jena , Pentacon ones and they are excellent also.
    Dont rush , spend 2-3 weeks at ebay and buy what is excellent not what is tele.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was another 250mm lens made for the Kiev-88 that's a lot lighter and a bit slower:

http://kievaholic.com/lensspecifications.html

The Telear-5 weighs half what the monster Jupiter-36 weighs. It shows up occasionally at the great auction site, but is rare. There was also the Tair-33 at 300mm, but it must be manually stopped down.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Medium Format

Short tele

You are on to something when you say you are looking for the Vega 120 f 2.8. It is basically the same size as the Arsat 80mm lens and it is pretty good in its performance. I was lucky enough to find one new and got it at the auction site for @ $150. You could also consider the original Biometar which is a Carl Zeiss Jena, product.It is a lens with not as powerful perspective compacting capability but it is nice for portraits especially with a spacer. Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    You are limited in your choices with the standard K88 and the Kaleinar 150mm is a good choice. If you have the CM model the the Sonnar 180mm would be the dream lens but can be pricey. Steven.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Choosing lenses, not forget this :

The focusing aids that are on the kiev 88 groundglass (stigometer,microprisms) work only with lenses more opened than f/4 (independant of their focals). All kiev lenses that are either f/2.8 or f/3.5 are ok, but the "lighter" 250mm (as far as I remember) is only f/5.6, so you can only focus on plain groundglass around the microprism ring.

Paul

I have both the kaleinar 150mm and the jupiter 250mm and I find them good, although heavy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin