Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,639   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RB67 vs 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The way I figure it, if you're going to go to medium format you might as well go for the biggest negatives possible. The minimum is 6x6, but that's square and if you crop down to rectangular format, the usable negative area approaches 645. Nope if you're going to do it, go 6x7. You'll have that nice big negative. It's beautiful.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you get the RB, you can still shoot 645 with one of the many available filmbacks that tend to be really inexpensive, and still have the rotatable back and the ability to shoot 6X7 with one of the 10 shot backs. I have not used the 645 cameras, but can say that the RB is definitely a large and heavy camera. Whether that would be an obstacle for the range of shooting you have in mind can only be determined by trying one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my RB67, it maybe a little on the big and heavy side, but it doesn't bother me. I like those big negatives.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have both an RZ with 50ULD, 110, and 180, and a 645 1000s with 45/2.8, 80/1.9, and 150/4.

If I were going out to shoot landscape, I would not hesitate to bring the RZ. The 645 is a handheld or critical weight camera for me, and I really only bought it for the 80mm.

edit: That said, the difference in size between the two is astonishing. The 645 isn't much bigger than a modern SLR, and the form factor helps a lot. I don't carry it with a grip.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an RB67 ProS and a 645 ProTL and I love both. Yeah, the RB is much bigger but the bigger negative is worth it. The Pro TL is great as a carry around camera and I really enjoy shooting with it.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either. In my mind, the deciding factor is the negative size. If you want a bigger negative, go with the RB.

Shooter
    Multi Format

A Polaroid back is also something to consider.

I have only used the RB67 Pro S, and have never even held a 645 camera, but I just bought a Polaroid back for my RB for $15 from a pro photographer. I have seen them on ebay for about that. It is something else to consider if you might want to play with instant film. Also, if you call $10,000 - $15,000 pocket change and wish to experiment with that new type of photography, one of those backs will probably give you a better picture than the 645 back. (Although I have heard they are the same.) As one poster pointed out, that big WL viewer is great, especially if you are an old man like me. It is like watching a little TV when you are focusing. (Only backwards of course.) Ric.
    P.S. I also use 35mm and wouldn't see much point in dropping that for a 645,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    I don't really think you can go wrong with either. In my mind, the deciding factor is the negative size. If you want a bigger negative, go with the RB.
    What he said

It was a significant reason for me.

Honestly for me the primary reason i choose the RB67 is how completely modular the entire system is from camera body/lenses, viewfinders, focus screens - the whole kit is awesome - truly professional. The "Rotating Back" was huely influential. The ability to use the largest roll films reasonably available was icing on the cake.

If you're looking to maximize the film real estate available to you, using roll film, why settle for a smaller format? The RB is hefty, but with a strap/handle it's a very manageable package and well worth the little extra effort to use. On a tri-pod it's superb - it really is without peer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks everyone for all your input and help. I have decided to go with the RB67. This is such a great site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an RB67 Pro-S for 6x7 and instead of another Mamiya went with a nice lightly used Bronica RF645 for tall format. Love them both. More lenses available for the Mamiya 645 but the $ ran me off that idea. The RF645 is a super sweet handling little jewel, best control layout of any MF rangefinder IMHO, and as a bonus the VF is great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both. Both are great. The largest negative is best, but I compromise and take the 645 when the location is distant
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin