Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,244   Online: 876

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Pentax 6x7 - Film creasing/bending

Hello,

Hopefully you can help me. I have just recently begun shooting 6x7 and I have run into a slight problem. On every film I shoot there are creases/bending on parts of the roll. At first I 'googled' to see if others had had the same problem, and I discovered that the length of time the roll of film spends in the camera could cause this. Has anyone here had similar difficulties with the pentax 6x7?

Matthew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No - I've got a Pentax 67II and have shot many hundreds of rolls through it. Never had the problem you're describing. Sounds like something is amiss.

Is the film flat when you first load it wind it onto the plastic film holders?

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the film advance balks, or is "tight", it could be pulling the film too firmly against the edges of the exposure area. Sounds like a CLA might be a good idea. (I've been using my P67 for a dozen years or so without ever having had the problem you describe.)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    CLA?

My concern is that the creasing is only evident on parts of the film, not along the entire roll.

Gavin, I will try another roll; making sure that I get the film as flat as possible before advancing it onto the rollers, and see if that makes a difference. I bought the body fully serviced so I doubt/hope it isn't a mechanical fault. To be honest, I suspect user error could be to blame.

Thanks for responses

Shooter
    35mm
    Is your 120/220 film selector correctly set?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Rolfe View Post
    CLA?
    CLA = Clean, Lube, Adjust. Sounds like that was done before you bought it, though, and yes, check the 120-220 setting.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    CLA - ah ok!

The back plate has always been set to 120, and the small knob on the side. Everything seems fine mechanically - as far as I can tell - all the rollers are running smooth, the film advance is smooth also.
    It's always the first frame on the roll that shows signs of creasing, and very little , if any, visual effects on the rest of the roll.

I will run a film through the camera making sure I get the film straight and tight into the film takeup spool, and see what the result is. If the problem persists I will get it checked over.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you processing the film yourself and is it possible the creasing may occur when it's loaded to the developing reel, particularly a metal reel where once hooked under the clip and started it might be prone to a bend or crease?

Can the film be advanced with the back open to observe what happens as it advances? If so, wind up the paper backing from a film onto a spool, run it through the camera, and watch as it is advanced to see any binding occurs.

Images
    I bump Mark's observation. If you are getting half moons in the film at the beginning of the roll, it is most likely from poor handling when spooling the film for developing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    agree with MarkF48

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin