Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,679   Online: 898

Thread: equivalent lens

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

equivalent lens

I am considering which lenses to use with my RB67 Pro S and was wondering what the 35mm equivalent lenses would be for the 50mm, 90mm, 127mm, and 180 mm lenses just to give me the right prospective. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    50 = 28
    90 = 50
    127 = 70
    180 = 100

The math is not exact, but on a practical level, I think you'll find that's pretty close.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    50 mm = 25 mm on 35 mm format.
    90 mm = 45 mm on ditto,
    127 mm = 64 mm,
    180mm = 90mm on 35 mm format.

This math is exact, for the horizontal angle of view.

You can extend this table easily, once you notice that 6x7 is twice as wide as 35 mm format, i.e. 6x7 lenses are twice as long as 35 mm for the same horizontal angle of view.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

many thanks

Thanks for your help. The math makes sense. Thats great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm to 6x7 is an easy AOV equivalent to figure out if using horizontal AOV instead of diagonal, as many (perhaps most) people use. This is because most 35mm frames are 36mm across (or close to it), and most 6x7 frames are about (and some are exactly) double that. Thus, divide your RB focal lengths by two, and that is your 35mm equivalent. However, because 6x7 is a "fatter" frame, you will have a wider vertical AOV for a given horizontal AOV. This can seem to make the RB lenses a bit wider than their 35mm equivalents, though you are not actually seeing more on the wide dimension – only on the narrow one.

Based on human vision giving about 50 degrees AOV of focused (i.e. non peripheral) vision, a 35mm lens on small format and a 75mm lens for the RB would give the most "normal" view based on horizontal AOV, while a 50 and a 90, respectively, would do this based on diagonal AOV. Obviously the camera makers have come to use the diagonal to make their FL choices.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin