Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,776   Online: 987

Thread: Kowa Super 66

Shooter
    35mm

Kowa Super 66

Hi.. Tom here.. A friend just gave me his Kowa Super 66 Camera and accessories. I have 4 lenses including a fisheye. I have no idea how to use any of it, but wanted to see if there is a market for the items.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks - Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi and welcome Tom

You are one lucky sod, I mean that in all earnesty! If its in good working order you have a great outfit there. The Fisheye is very rare and worth more than the rest of the kit put together. Last I saw one on ebay they were asking $2000 for one!

When it comes to using the Kowa. Its not difficult once you know how.

Loading film. I tend to do this with the back off. To release the back the camera and lens need to be cocked. Don't use the crank, use the wheel only or you might chew up the gears. At first you'll notice the wheel has a bit of resistance, that's the mirror and auto blackslide being moved down and back respectively. The next half of the cycle feels lighter. Once cocked the film back can be removed and so can the lenses. When loading the film with the back removed you can wind on with a wheel on the back. Once remounted fire the shutter and wind to frame one. The first frame takes a bit of winding, that's normal.

Film loading is not difficult, just make sure the pressure plate and film counter are set to whatever film type you are using, 120 or 220.

Removing and attaching lenses can only be done when cocked. Rotate the breech lock anti clockwise til it stops. Then press a small chrome button lower left corner on the front, opposite the shutter release. Then rotate breech lock anti clockwise until red markers line up. Lens is now loose. When off camera, test lens by pressing a small button on the rear face, shutter should now close. Set speed and rotate sliders on the rear clockwise and aperture blades should stop down to desired setting and shutter should fire. Cock lens by rotating sliders anti clockwise until red dots line up ans there's an audible click. Remember lenses can only be remounted when cocked.

The lenses are auto stop down, meaning you view everything at max aperture. If you want depth of field preview there's a small lever on the lens for that. Check lens aperture blades for oil when you are at it. There shouldn't be any. On the other side of the barrel there's a switch for shutter mode. The middle and upper settings are for flash sync mode. One for electronic, one for old style flashes. The lower setting is for self timer. If you use self timer the mirror will lock up straight away, which is why I use it for those shots I want to be as sharp as can be.

I have an 85mm and a 150mm lens for my Kowa. And they are very good. Better than I expected. More than sharp enough in my opinion, the 150 in particular I like for its almost 3D like rendering.

Test the lenses, and try the kit out. And if you are not particular you can sell if for a nice premium. If in good condition camera and normal lens, the 85mm, fetch anything between $200 and $450 on the ebay. The 55mm $200, the 150mm the same or a bit less. Haven't seen the 40 and 30mm on ebay ever, nor the 250mm. Tubes fetch $50-75 typically, grips $30-75, film backs $50-100, polaroid backs more. And the 19mm fisheye, well as mentioned earlier, can finance a whole system on its own.

Feel free to ask questions, here on in a PM. I'll do my best to answer.
    Last edited by Ezzie; 11-29-2010 at 01:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | DIY 6x24 anarmorphic pinhole | Pentax' SV & SP 1000 | Rolleiflex | Kalloflex | Weltix | Royal 35-M | Leica M4-2 | Polaroid 250 | Polaroid 110A / 600SE conversion | DIY Polaroid View | DUO Polaroid TLR | Vito CL | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Canon EF | Mamiya 1000s

My Blogspot
    My Flickr
    My APUG Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I concur: you're one lucky sod. I've been trying to get my hands on a decent and working Kowa 6 kit for a long time now, but no luck getting one for a good price. And you were just given one. Congrats!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Is your interest in using the camera or selling it? I'm thinking in selling it.

Shooter
    35mm

Kowa 66

Well I have decided to sell it. My buddy who gave it to me had it sitting in a case for the past 17 years or so. His hobby interests have changed and he originally offered it to me last year. My daughter just entered art school this September and he wanted to see if she could use it. She didn't since she is taking design courses. I told him my plans were probably to sell it and he was fine with that. I will generously split the profits with him. I have most of the same hobbies as my friend, and we tend to use point and shoot cameras as well as a few slave flashes for it. We are cavers, so bringing certain cameras into a very humid and dirty situation may be hazardous to the camera. Although we do take care of our point and shoot cameras, if something were to happen, it would not be a catastrophic loss.
    Thank you for the information on the equipment. It almost makes me think I should keep it, but I really do not think it would get the use it should. I probably would be on here again in 17 years talking about it.
    I have listed it on ebay with only a small reserve ($50) on the Body. Although I think I need to add a reserve to the fisheye now. I have sold many items on ebay over the years, but usually never have a reserve. I believe people will pay what they can afford and that some items with a reserve may be relisted constantly because that reserve has never been met.
    But the compelling fact that someone out there had a fisheye listed at $2000 makes me wonder. Did it ever sell?
    Thank you again for the information
    Tom
    PS - a quick funny note.. my buddy asked that after the sale, he wants the case back, don't sell that..

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-KOWA-Sup...item1c1785218d
    Last edited by Roxborotom; 11-29-2010 at 08:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aaaaah. I see from your listings we are talking past one another here. You are talking about the 55mm, I┤m talking about the 19mm - which is the fisheye in my book. The 55mm is linear as far as I know. There are even two more focal lengths to be had between the two. Two veeeeeery different things. The 55mm is a 150-200 dollar lens if shutter works as it should and aperture blades are clean.

DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | DIY 6x24 anarmorphic pinhole | Pentax' SV & SP 1000 | Rolleiflex | Kalloflex | Weltix | Royal 35-M | Leica M4-2 | Polaroid 250 | Polaroid 110A / 600SE conversion | DIY Polaroid View | DUO Polaroid TLR | Vito CL | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Canon EF | Mamiya 1000s

My Blogspot
    My Flickr
    My APUG Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Ezzie, okay maybe I am showing my inexperience here. But the lens I thought was a 55mm fisheye,.. is it? It has a convex lens. If I am wrong, I need to change it soon. Thank you for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its certainly wide angle when medium format is concerned, but I wouldn┤t say its fisheye. Its a pukka lens though. I┤d love one myself.

My Blogspot
    My Flickr
    My APUG Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you.. I will revise my listing. State that it is wide angle instead..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin