Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,286   Online: 736

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Arax Fresncel Focusing Screen for Hasselblad

Anyone using one of these? I have a 500c/m with an original screen that's suffering from some scratches. Looking for an inexpensive replacement that's as bright or brighter. I found this and was wondering if it's worth a try:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Opinions from anyone that's using one (either in a Hassy or otherwise) are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought one last year for my 500CM as I wanted something brighter (as I also have a 501CM). I found the Arax easy to install and much better than the original 500 screen although not quite as god as the 501. It's so cheap I can't complain and feel no desire to spend any more on the Blad option.

BTW, I also purchased the Arax unmetered prism and find it very good although there are some internal reflections.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Steve. Exactly the info I was looking for. Awesome.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No experience with that screen. But have made several purchases from ARAX both for my 'Blad and for my Bladski. Gevorg is a good guy. I have been completely satisfied in all respects.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow... great info. think I'll grab one too for my 500CM.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm always wondering if all those who install replacement screens for "better viewing" are keeping "best focusing capability" with all their lenses at all apertures ? How do they adjust for it ?

It's OK to get a better picture in the viewfinder, but what about the picture on the film ?

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've not tried the ARAX screens, but even the Hasselblad screens don't give you "best focusing capability" with all lenses. For example, I like using a split image screen. But it's hard to use with a f/4 150 because half of the split image prism blacks out easily with slow lenses.
    There are always compromises, and if you end up with something that works well most of the time, it's hard to expect much more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The ARAX screens are plastic screens with a Fresnel lens. There's nothing there that could make them brighter than the first generation Hasselblad screens.
    On the other hand, they don't cost much to try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Resuscitating this thread as I was too considering to get me an Arax screen to replace the standard screen of my 500 c/m.

I have a few doubts though when I look at the pictures of those plastic screens. The Hassy screen infact have a thin metal frame all around the screen that is meant to keep the screen at the right height for focusing. Then the screen+frame get installed into the camera where there is another metal frame with clips to hold the screen.

I can't see the metal frame around this Arax plastic screen so I am wondering:
    - am I supposed to remove the original Hassy screen from its metal frame and then put the Arax screen inside the metal frame? Isn't it risky to break the original screen or the metal frame?
    - if instead I just have to pop in the plastic screen, how does focusing work? The plastic screen should be thicker but focus should be readjusted then?

Apart from that, how does this screen compare, in terms of brightness, to the standard Hasselblad screen? How many f/stops do you think it is brighter?

Thanks for any advice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Given all those uncertainties, why bother?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin