Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,856   Online: 1085

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even though they are equivalent; things change when you compose.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    No, it's not.

Just have a look here (to quote that famous U.S. philosopher: "It's deja vu, all over again").
    The info on the page proves my point. No lens matches the fov of any other lens in all three directions, horizontal, vertical and diagonal. Additionally, the shape of the camera's negative has a very profound effect on composition so, although cropping is possible later the photographer is very often conditioned to 'work' around the shape of the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having both 35mm and 6x6, I'll agree that you have to look at this from a horizontal/vertical point of view. 80mm in 6x6 is 50mm in 135 if all you look at is the diagonal, but the 80mm on 6x6 look is definitely wider than the 50mm 135 view. Similarily, 50mm on 6x6 is not as wide as 28mm on 135.

And the composition always ends up quite different when I switch from 6x6 to 135.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin