Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,250   Online: 774

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nice Dune reference

Bob, we've talked already and my 1st choice is the Mamiya 7 for your use, followed closely by the Mamiya RZ67. Good to see that many folks here concur.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by muaddib View Post
    I am new here - signed up basically to ask the question shown in the subject line.
    Bob
    Hey Bob,

Check this out: (They are brand new!)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

teh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    Or Hasselblad SWC, if you can get along with just one (wide) lens. Very neat. But pricier than the Mamiya.
    I dont see the advantage of the SWC over a Mamiya 7. And like you said it is probably even more expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Yes, the Superwide is a dream camera. It's also ungodly expensive even now. For the price of a Mamiya 7 and two or three lenses, you'll end up with a Superwide.
    Got mine for $750 and I love it! It's one of the older models, but I don't think that matters much. Highly recommended. I've compared it to the Hasselblad 40mm and the SWC wins every time.

I would also recommend looking at a Hasselblad system - they are amazing, and much lighter than a 6x7 SLR. The RZ system is good, but gets heavy if you try to carry a couple of lenses, backs, a prism finder, etc.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jeff- you got a STEAL on your Superwide - If it is one of the ones with the C lens (chrome especially) they did make some major improvements to the lens (and not just in the shutter mechanics) from the C to the CF version. I had one of the CF lens versions and I paid around $1700 for it, only because there was a minor scratch on the rear element which had ZERO effect on the photos ( even when pointing the thing directly into the sun!). Otherwise it would have set me back somewhere north of $2500 at the time (and this was back in the 1999/2000 time frame).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teh View Post
    I dont see the advantage of the SWC over a Mamiya 7. And like you said it is probably even more expensive.
    The Hassy Superwide has two advantages over the Mamiya 7 - it's wider (38mm vs 43mm), and it is probably the most distortion-free lens ever made by man. At the very edge of the field, you can place a completely straight object (a flagpole, for example) and enlarge it to 1.3 meters (4 feet) square, and have less than .5 mm curvature over the length of the flagpole in the print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Jeff- you got a STEAL on your Superwide - If it is one of the ones with the C lens (chrome especially) they did make some major improvements to the lens (and not just in the shutter mechanics) from the C to the CF version. I had one of the CF lens versions and I paid around $1700 for it, only because there was a minor scratch on the rear element which had ZERO effect on the photos ( even when pointing the thing directly into the sun!). Otherwise it would have set me back somewhere north of $2500 at the time (and this was back in the 1999/2000 time frame).
    It does indeed have a C lens on it. It came with the back cover, lens cover, and a partially broken but usable finder. I eventually bought a replacement finder on KEH for $150, and sold the broken one on eBay (as broken and partially usable) and got around $80 for it. Of course I needed a film back as well, but I already had those.

I've seen one other for a very good price as well, came up on craigslist with a 500cm and a few lenses for $1500 total I believe. So, good deals are out there.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an old Rolleiflex Automat which I got for about what the RB67's go for, and its a great camera for lugging around. It is much smaller and lighter than Mamiya's TLR's, and much much smaller than the RB/RZ cameras (The first time I picked one of those things up, I thought I was holding a brick instead of a camera).

The only problem you'll probably have with a Rollei is the lack of interchangable lenses, and I don't think the wide angle Rollei's are exactly cheap. You could consider the Mamiya TLR's, but those are pretty big too.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by muaddib View Post
    a viewfinder that doesn't show 100% of the scene, etc.
    As you will discover when you start printing, in order to have a sharp definition between the image and the white border you need to overlap the projected image on the easel blades. So you will always be missing something that you saw in the viewfinder if your viewfinder shows 100%.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by teh View Post
    Please send whatever your are taking or smoking!

The SWC is a rectilinear lens; the Mamiya is not.

See the examples below. The Mamiya cannot take wide angle shots like this. Scanned directly from the negative. No corrections made.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Century City 001.jpg   Century City 002.jpg   Century City 003.jpg   Century City 004.jpg   Disney Theater 002.jpg  

Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin