Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,414   Online: 1103

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    #3 above is the bridge the apes came over in the second Planet of the Apes movie

More below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disney Theater 003.jpg   Disney Theater 004.jpg   Witch's house 1.jpg  
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 43 is wider and just as sharp if not sharper than SWC

43mm is on 6x7, which is wider than 38mm on 6x6.

The 43 is perfectly rectilinear, and the sharpest wide-angle lens made, basically. Better than the SWC from what I have read and seen. Empirical testing (by others, I don't have a SWC) bears this out.

FWIW
    -Ed

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would like to see some comparisons of the two lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format

here's a start

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/MF_testing.html

There's some comparisons here. the 43mm mamiya is higher res than the 50mm that he tested (which is no slouch, of course).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ed- I don't know about sharpness - that's actually never been a huge concern of mine as I've never enlarged anything to the point that resolving power intrudes into image quality. What I specifically mentioned was optical correction for distortion. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it because I see it's started another "my gear is better/sharper/more rectilinear than yours". In reality, nobody sells photographs of lens resolution test charts, so the only people who are actually impressed by this data are other photographers, which really means this is just another penis-comparison contest.

Shooter
    Multi Format

43 is well corrected

I haven't put it to extreme tests but all the architectural shots I've done with the 43mm and 50mm and other Mamiya 7 lenses show that they are quite well corrected for geometry. Which would only make sense, as the 43, 50, and 65 are biogon-derived (improved?) designs, known for exceptionally good correction. They are what makes the 7 system so good, IMHO. A comparison vs. Biogon SWC would be interesting, as far as geometry goes. I suspect the Mamiya would more than hold it's own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    ... I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it because I see it's started another "my gear is better/sharper/more rectilinear than yours". In reality, nobody sells photographs of lens resolution test charts, so the only people who are actually impressed by this data are other photographers, which really means this is just another penis-comparison contest.
    Remember, it's not how rectilinear your gear is, it's how you use it!

(Sayeth the man whose gear ain't all that rectilinear )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go for a 645 SLR with exchangeable magazines (such as Mamiya M645 Pro), or a Mamiya C series twin lens reflex as a first medium format camera to be used primarily for landscapes in the under-$500 range. C220s are probably the best value in the C system. Lenses are cheap and excellent.

If you have plenty of money to invest, just go for a Hassy off the bat, and be sure to get a few extra backs. They come in handy in landscape shooting, IME.

I like the RB or RZ too. It is what I use most for landscapes. Before I got it, I mostly used 4x5 and a Mamiya Press 6x9. I switched to the RZ because I view quick TTL composing as the most important feature for landscapes (and most other shooting, for that matter).

I like the P67 for hand held stuff, because it is pretty comfortable to use. It's a good medium format camera for those who are in love with the feel of 35mm SLRs. I don't like it much on a tripod (especially in studio) or with flash. I prefer a more "component-oriented" system for shots when I can take my time a bit. Maybe this is just because I used to always use 4x5 for this sort of stuff before entering into the medium format world.

IMHO, you won't find a lens bad enough to warrant a second look in any quality medium format system. Hassy, Bronica, Mamiya, Pentax, etc. They're all better lenses than most people are photographers, so I don't feel that they are very often the limiting factor in making a good picture.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-10-2010 at 02:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin