Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,387   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Possible Stupid Question Alert!

What is the purpose of a Polaroid Back on a MF film camera?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So you can get an instant check on your picture. It's what people did before digital cameras with instant review. You can take a polaroid and if its good, put a regular film back in and take the final picture. If it isn't good, change things and take another polaroid.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is shooting Polaroid really cheap enough to make that a good idea?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To test lighting, primarily. And exposure. Think of it as an analog version of an LCD on a digital (arghhh!! sorry but get over it) camera.

Especially using strobes, the Polaroid provides a check before you burn a roll of film and wait for the processing, etc. Also gives immediate feedback for approval by art directors so they can now leave the studio to get lunch and get out of your hair.

When a studio shoot involves stylists, makeup artists, and sundry other people, yes, it is worth it. Beats reshooting a $5,000 setup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To allow you to shoot Polaroid film (or now, the Fuji equivalents).

Only certain backs work now, because only certain sizes remain available.

A Polaroid print has its own particular characteristics, so that may be the photographer's final product. More commonly, the prints are used for test shots, and to communicate with people like art directors.

Digital backs can do some things similarly.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Starting to make sense and also I can see why I wouldn't have known any of this
    Thanks,
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by muaddib View Post
    Depending on where you are and how much shipping is, the regular Fuji packfilm is about US$1 - $1.50 per shot. Not cheap, but not a huge amount, either in the grand scheme. For example, name-brand 8 x 10 film runs about US$3 and up per shot before shipping (a quick check of B&H and Freestyle). So, it's all relative.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It allows you to shoot instant prints with your medium format camera.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I LOVE my polaroid back. I use it mainly for portraits, with Fuji FP-100C.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by muaddib View Post
    Shooting commercially I shot thousands of polaroid proofs over the years. In the day it was the only way for a client or creative director to get an idea of how the final transparency would look. It was cheap enough, relative to the cost of booking a re-shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin