Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,832   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bronica ETRS 200mm F4.5 MC opinions?

Do you have any experience with this ETRS lens? 200mm f/4.5 MC.
    I know many people say the MC lenses suck but the three I have do a really good job.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I know many people say the MC lenses suck but the three I have do a really good job.
    One person's 'suck' is another person's 'possibly not quite as good as the later version but I doubt if you would notice any difference'.

I don't have the 200mm but my 75mm and 50mm MC lenses are fine. They suck much less than I do when using them!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Steve I understand completely...if I could take photos as good as the camera could produce you would be paying me money for my photos! I am certainly the limiting factor.

In mthe Mamiya RB and 645 line there are no dogs in the lens line up to my knowledge.
    Nikon does have some lenses that are....less capable????
    I do not know enough about the Bronica line up to know it the 200mm is a good lens or not.
    I have a Mamiya M645 1000s and a Bronica ETRS complete kit and there are several things about the Bronica system that I like better than the Mamiya 645 system. If only my metered prism would work on the Bronica!
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The MC lenses aren't the latest Zeiss, but they don't suck. Some of the PE lenses, like the 150mm, are the MC lens with newer coatings. I think the 200 is the same. My 250 sure seems to be the same. Others were redone, like the 40mm, and might be better, though I don't know.
    The 180 PE is a newer design and might be superior to the 200 optically. It definitely focuses closer.
    I have heard that the 75mm MC was nothing special, that the E-II and PE (which supposedly are the same design) are superior optically.
    Last edited by lxdude; 12-03-2010 at 09:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    stradibarrius
    sent you a pm
    "If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in frightful danger of seeing it for the first time." G.K.Chesterton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The MC lenses aren't the latest Zeiss, but they don't suck. Some of the PE lenses, like the 150mm, are the MC lens with newer coatings. I think the 200 is the same. My 250 sure seems to be the same. Others were redone, like the 40mm, and might be better, though I don't know.
    The 180 PE is a newer design and might be superior to the 200 optically. It definitely focuses closer.
    I have heard that the 75mm MC was nothing special, that the E-II and PE (which supposedly are the same design) are superior optically.
    Do you like the 250mm??? Do you use it very much?
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use it quite a bit-it's equivalent to a 150mm in 135, which is a focal length I like. I get great results from it. I like it best with the crank on the body and waist level finder, as it makes a setup that is really well balanced and easy to hold, though it's still good with the prism. I use a tripod whenever I can, but that's not always practical, and the combination of balance, mass, and leaf shutter make it possible for me to hand hold easily at a 125th. I have the 150, so I went with the 250 as the next step up. My main criticism is that its 3-meter focusing distance is limiting at times. Though an extension tube does take care of that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't have personal experience with the lens, but from the net responses I get, the most difference in MC vs PE is in the wide angles (mostly 40 and 50). The longer focal lengths are basicaly the same with better coatings (and half stop apperture detents).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently picked up that lens for about $25... not the greatest condition but no glaring faults. I also have the 40, the 80, the 105, and the 150. I still haven't actually used the 200 yet but hope to do so soon. I have been quite happy with the other lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    revdodjim-

You mentioned the 80-do you mean the 75 or are you talking about the SQ lens?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin