Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,308   Online: 731

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    To push the definition of folder a bit, how about a 2x3 speed/crown/century graphic. Adjust the rangefinder to match the lens, remove the ground glass panel, slap a 120 roll film holder on the back and you're set.

Dan
    A Patent Etui with a Roll film back is much smaller Even the 9x12 version.

Crown Graphic (5x4), front - Zeiss Ikonta 645 and Patent Etui 9x12, almost the same format as 5x4 just a touch narrower - I have a Rollex 6x9 roll-film back for it as well

The Patent Etui is also much smaller than the Baby 2x3 Graphics.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perkeo II is awesome. Great build, excellent photos, smallest footprint around. Just great.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to echo what others have said, there are a lot of good options at a lot of different price points. A postwar Nettar might be the best on "bang for the buck" grounds---they're quite cheap, very robust cameras, and the lenses are generally decent as triplets go (if you don't mind a bit of vignetting).

My folders are all rather low-end; no rangefinders, triplet lenses, mostly prewar. The ones that see the most use are a Nettar 516/16 (actually wartime manufacture) and a Wirgin 6x9---both have uncoated triplet lenses that seem to have won the "aging well" lottery. I got them by bottom-feeding on eBay for a while, for about US$10-15 each, but in the process I picked up a few paperweights too.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I got this "bug" by reading some Gutenberg project eBooks of the "Pictorial Photography in America" Series, mostly from the 1920's. In the back are all these old adverts for paper, film, and of course cameras. I found it fascinating that one of the selling points for a lot of the cameras was how soft the lens could be, for "pictoral" photographers. It goes against the fiber of how I was raised in photography .. leica/zeiss lenses, sharpness, perfection.

So no, I don't really mean by "old" the 1920's .. and I don't have the money for a new Voigtlander, which are probably quite sharp and not to the point. I like the idea of what was once called the "pocket camera" especially against modern technology, where nearly everything is designed to fit in a pocket.

I have plenty of ideas now!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The best way to buy a camera and use it , is to build a eyecontact with its pictures produced by lenses.
    You did the most correct way with searching in past time magazines and catalogs. Lenses are different animals and if you cant like their results at a magazine , they are not for you.
    If you can build up a relation with pictures , if they fire you , buy that camera.
    So you have to find a place which stores heyday magazines , almanacs and try to loan with library aid and spend good time with them. Find the picture most suit you , and go for it.
    These picture memories directs you at your compositions.
    I used prewar Leicas and they were just me. If you can count 30 things from mind what was the difference of your Leica to Zeiss , you deserve this research.
    Many photographers here have not been awared of lens merit thing.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for a Zeiss if you want the bellows to be light proof. Never mind Novars, they are all right, but a much better Tessar-equipped one isn't that much more expensive. Some times you really need those larger apertures. 4,5 x 6 is the smallest and most convenient. You seldom need more than 16 exposures but 12 of a 6x6 is so-so.
    I bought a 1937 Ikonta for 16€ from the ebay. Here is a picture made with it, at f5,6 if I remember right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojje View Post
    I bought a 1937 Ikonta for 16€ from the ebay.
    Very nice score, especially if it has a Tessar! Agreed about the bellows; Zeiss folders (Ikontas and Nettars) seem very resistant to bellows problems.

You seldom need more than 16 exposures but 12 of a 6x6 is so-so.
    Depends on how much it bothers you to change rolls, I suppose. I got used to 12-on-120 as a kid, so it still seems normal to me; and I'm one of those people who really like composing for the square.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just an idea and shameless self promotion. Check out http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...eiss-lens.html and PM me. The range finder is coupled. We can work a deal.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    What's still good that will take 120? Ansco Pocket or something similar?
    IF you want to buy a working folder restored then contact Jurgen at
    Certo6.com.
    I purchased 3 cameras last month and they are all excellent. Jurgen does quality work. I purchased a Certo-six, Zeiss Ikon super 6x4.5. They look almost new and I am having a blast ! I purchased 3 cameras with different formats rather than buying a brand new Fuji GF670.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Heath View Post
    IF you want to buy a working folder restored then contact Jurgen at Certo6.com. ...
    Before you contact Jurgen go to his site and read the many descriptions he has posted of the various cameras he offers. That will better equip you to discuss which one best fits your interest and budget. Caution the prices shown are dated. Current ones are a bit higher.

I just bought a 6x9, 105mm Tessar, 1939 Welta Welture from him with case, filters and lens hood, all in excellent condition. Imho buying directly from him is cheaper than bidding on eBay because his reputation keeps the bids high. When buying direct he doesn't need to include listing costs and is willing to discuss your goals.

John Powers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin