Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,921   Online: 982

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

I really want an old folder

What's still good that will take 120? Ansco Pocket or something similar?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience is that pre-WWII uncoated lenses can vary depending on how they've aged. I have a 1930's Novar that's unusable due to low contrast and flare despite looking very clean, then the other extreme good Tessars with reasonable contrast. Post WWII coated lenses are a safer bet.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I Agree with Ian, go for a post war model, with a coated lens, any 120 vogitlander with a color skoper,(coated), balda,Zeiss Ikon netter or 1konta, with perhaps a coated novar, I would leave Agfa alone as there bellows are pretty well always suspect,Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I could add that there are some very good British 120 folders,especialy the Ensign range, such as the Selfix models, look for one with a Ross xpes lens, the equal or better than the Tessar, I have 2 and use them all the time,Richard

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Bergheil! with Heliar or skopar - interchangable lenses - roll film back...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What's your budget? What features do you want? There are a lot of good, but relatively expensive options that have been put forth already. $5 + shipping on ebay will get you a Kodak Autographic 2-C (I think that's the one that takes 120). For something that old, read descriptions and check photos carefully. I have one that looks brand new and another that looks like its been through a blender. The Ihagee Ultrix is a nice basic range-guesser - There are versions that are dual format - 6x6 and 6x9 on 120 film - assuming the removable plate is still there. The Ihagee will go for around $25.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agfa Isolette's are great little cameras, I have one that needs a knob, you can have it for postage. Shouldn't be too hard to fit something to it, it functions very well in all other aspects.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    To push the definition of folder a bit, how about a 2x3 speed/crown/century graphic. Adjust the rangefinder to match the lens, remove the ground glass panel, slap a 120 roll film holder on the back and you're set.

Dan

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a thing for folders so here is what I have.

I own a Kodak Brownie Autographic 2 that takes 120 film, this is a really fun to use pocket camera, it takes a good photo, it fits in my pocket, and I think I paid about $10 for it, on the down side it doesn't have coated lenses and I had to paint the bellows with liquid electrical tape to seal some pinholes, I filled the autographic door to seal it, and I have to cover the ruby window with electric tape to seal the light out of it.

I have a Kodak Tourist II, with the multi speed shutter and I really like that camera as well, but it is a 620 camera.

If you want a nice folder in the $100 range there is a guy on ebay that sells Agfa Billy cameras and Zeiss folders that have been restored and work quite well, look for his stuff, I have had really good luck with him, but Kodaks are more my thing.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Old" is a relative term -- I'm sure to many people my 1950s vintage Perkeo II with Color Skopar and Ercona II with Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar would seem "really old." They take doggone nice pictures and I bought them to use, partly for traveling light. I envision the pre-1940s vintage stuff being a little bit of a crap shoot as to condition and reliability, I guess it depends on your projected use and how much patience you have (and how lucky you get).
    Last edited by DWThomas; 12-03-2010 at 12:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin