Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,515   Online: 1052

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tripod / ballhead for RZ67 + AE Prism?

As the title suggests, I am looking for a new tripod/ballhead combo. I prefer a lighter set to backpack with, and my budget is 500-600. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the MLU, an RB or RZ has a very gentle shutter release. You don't need to go too heavy duty, even though the cameras are a bit big. I'd get a good solid head, like a 3047, and worry less about the legs; almost any set of quality legs will do. I would also buy used. Tripods depreciate greatly, and quickly. I got each of my Bogens (3036 and 3051, the really solid ones) wit 3047 heads in near mint condition for under $200 each. That is about 30 percent of their new prices with heads. If you buy used, maybe something lighter, like a 3030 or 3021, which are easy to carry, you are looking at spending probably under $150.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-03-2010 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I travel I use a Gitzo carbon-fiber tripod with their magnesium ball head. The tripod has three leg sections. I've had it for several years so I don't know the equivalent model # now. I'm sure it is out of that price range but there are other brands with similar characteristics. The point is that I use it with a Hasselblad and up to a250mm lens with no problem. The tripod and head weigh about 4 maybe 5 pounds together. Folds to under 24 inches and supports 15 - 20 pounds.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Manfrotto is awsexome

I put out an add locally and managed to pick up a Manfrotto tripod with ballhead for only $60. They are usually selling around 2 or 3 times that price. It is perfect for my needs, including backpacking. The tripod is a 055 and the head is 168. It may be a bit heavy for you but it is more that stable enough for my RB67.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Feisol CT-3401 with a Arcatech ballhead--its a light solid set up. The Feisol is a very well made solid well priced tripod sold by a site sponser ReallyBigCameras.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gitzos are very lightweight and sturdy. Even their aluminium tripods are very light, compared to others.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the responses. My circle of friends are not photographers, so it's hard to find examples of gear to get a hold of to play with.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin