Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,249   Online: 777

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hallo,

No experience of shooting in -40 (not sure I would function in those temps!) but what is the possibility of using one of the small "hand-warmers" strapped to the magazine? - would keep the temp of the film area up from -40. Used to be able to get them as chemical-based that heated up when the pod was broken and activated. As you have consistently such low temps I guess you will know what I am trying to remeber here.

Sim2.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    Hallo,

No experience of shooting in -40 (not sure I would function in those temps!) but what is the possibility of using one of the small "hand-warmers" strapped to the magazine? - would keep the temp of the film area up from -40. Used to be able to get them as chemical-based that heated up when the pod was broken and activated. As you have consistently such low temps I guess you will know what I am trying to remeber here.

Sim2.
    Good idea. A temperature rise of just 20 degrees would help immensly and would hopefully not create problems with too great a temperature difference between the back and the rest of the camera either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went home and loaded a test roll.
    Camera in multiexposure-mode and advanced the film to the first frame.
    The back stops advancing when reaching a new frame, but it gives a little ping to indicate it's no longer neccessary to wind any further.
    I shot through twelve frames in this way, and the roll was nicely wound up on the takeup-spool when I opened the back.
    So it works. I can override the automatic advancing mechanism which is crucial in low temperatures, and use the motor system when shooting under
    more normal circumstances.

Thanks all for your replies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now to satisfy my curiosity: where in Norway does it get that cold?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Now to satisfy my curiosity: where in Norway does it get that cold?
    There are several places known for low temperatures in winter, but the record is held by Karasjok (where I live) with a measured and documented minus 53,3 centigrades. Last winter we had a few days here with minus 43. Down by the river it is usually a few degrees colder, so chances are one could find spots even colder than the measured minus 43. I gave up driving my car. It started OK thanks to the electric motor heater, but turning the steeringwheel was almost impossible.
    Still, it's nice to be out. But you need clothing made for snowmobile-driving, sami reindeer-skin shoes and reindeer-skin mittens to manage, which makes outside life comfortable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that info.
    One more place to put on my 'have to visit' list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to have to wait on a little more global warming first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I read on Wikipedia (the trustworthy thingy you find on the web ) that it can get as warm as 32 degree centigrade (plus, of course) in Karasjok as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    80 degrees difference between Summer and Winter. It is enough to make someone look older than usual.
    I understand Why Siberian , Far East and Asian Turks looks very old , especially the women.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I read on Wikipedia (the trustworthy thingy you find on the web ) that it can get as warm as 32 degree centigrade (plus, of course) in Karasjok as well.
    Yes, it usually gets that warm in summer, but summers can also be cool.
    Autumn and winter is the best time. There's too many mosquitoes in summer, and they'll drive you crazy. Put Karasjok on your wishlist, you'll never forget it.
    There's lots of wilderness here and few people, and you will see all sorts of wild animals like bear, eagle and what not. No matter what you shoot, this is the place.
    Interesting people, scenery and wild-life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin