Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,636   Online: 761

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rare Mamiya lens???

I found a Mamiya-Sekor C 45mm f/2.8 lens today in the junk bin for something like $60. It is rather dusty and the focus ring feels a bit stiff but other than that it seems ok... no mold! which was my biggest worry since I didn't have a good flashlight with me when I was at the store.
    Anyway, the unusual thing about this lens is that on the front ring right between where it says "Mamiya-Sekor C" and "1:2.8 f=45mm" there is the word "SAMPLE" in red print. Also, the serial number shown on the same ring is No.10009
    Is this some sort of first production run lens that was made to be used as a sample? Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

Shooter
    35mm
    As you're in Japan, if Mamiya samples are going to be anywhere, they're probably going to turn up there

Most likely it's an early lens for an m645. As for the stiff/sticky focus - I had that on a Mamiya 80/2.8 (also for an m645). Rather than disassemble the whole lens (beyond my skill set), I put a couple of drops of gun oil (a very light oil) down the focusing ring, and kept working the focus. Eventually it freed up nicely (although if you put too much oil, it keeps working it's way out again - a minor problem, really).

If you haven't already, and you've got an m645, I think you should grab that lens - good price. The 45mm has a great reputation. There are a lot of pics taken with them posted on Flickr. Although barrel distortion is minimal, it's still a bit too evident for my tastes, but if one jumped out and bit me like that, I'd probably take it YMMV.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got the 45/2.8 and mine is a bit sticky too. I wonder what they used to grease the helicals?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I definitely bought it! I got my Pro TL a couple months ago and was able to find good deals on the 80 and 150 lenses right away but have been on the prowl for a wide angle so this was perfect. I was just surprised by the markings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BTW that is a good price for the lens. Nice find.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's dusty and has a bit of clouding but I'm hoping I can pry it open and clean it up a bit.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If it is engraved with "SAMPLE," you might want to test the lens. It's possible that it was made for a trade show or for display but not for use and that the lens elements might not be finished -- polished, coated or actually able to focus across its range.

Still, it sounds interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wondered about that... like whether it might be just a mockup of some sort. But as far as I can tell it works fine. The blades move properly when making exposures, the aperture ring works, the lens focuses throughout the entire range, the auto/manual switch on the lens works and when I hold the lens up to a light I see at least 5 distinct and different colors in the reflections so it appears to have coatings as well. I'm pretty sure everything is in working order and that the lens is made just like a normal retail model.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I posted a couple photos of the lens on my blog... Chemical Cameras

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin