Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,849   Online: 954

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rollei SCA 356 Flash Adapter

I just received a Rollei SCA 356 and it looks brand new from eBay. I connected the adapter to my Rollei 6008i and tightened down the threaded ring snugly against the Hot shoe. (Looking to get a flash for the camera soon)

The question I have is that the adapter moves around and it not solidly attached to the camera body. Is that normal? The connector move freely in and out to the main adapter housing by about 1/8 inch. Is the adapter defective?

I am new to photography and even more so with Flash gear so I appreciate any help or comments you give.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where are you? I have a bunch of sundry new Metz cords I think are suited to CT45 series flash that I bought at auction, and I am pretty sure at least two of them are suited to Rollei. I don't run a 45, and they are not comptible with my old 60CT1/CT2's. I am pretty sure that SCA356 was for 45's
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike for the response. I am in Los Angeles so we are not quite neighbors.

I posed this same question on another website and a response I received did not recommend using the SCA 356 at all because the TTL flash measurement did not work very well on the Rollei 6008i. The suggestion was to get a auto flash instead. I would like to get your thoughts on this if possible.

I was looking at getting the Metz 54 MZ-3. It has been replaced by the current model the 54 MZ-4i but it appears to be more targeted to the digital market so I don't want to buy it for features I may never use.

Do you have any recommendations for a good flash unit that works well with the 6008i?

Thanks again,

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get on KEH etc, or scour local stores. For film and meduim format there are times you need more light than your average flash can punch.

I have heard of people having good luck with Metz 45CT's.

I am not literate enough with the old analog sca parts to know exactly what works for ttl.

The 45 has a good flash sensor in the handle, or break free of the need for ttl or auto flash at all, and get a separate flash meter, perhaps integrated into a continuous light meter.

Once you move into more than one head at a time for a picture, you will end up needing a flash meter to interpret the resultant lighting ratios.

I for punch with medium format for on location portrature use three pack and head flashes supported on light stands. All of which are rated greater than 60 in metres with 100 iso film. It lets me use 100iso indoors and use f/8 or smaller for a bit of depth of field. Meduim format is shalow on DOF if you have just transitioned from digital or 35mm.

I have a md 70's metz 60CT2, running from a CT1 pack, with a mecamat sensor to allow its out manual output to be dialed down. I beleive newer CT's integrate this mecamat functionality into the head.
    I have a Braun Hobby EF300 which is a mid 60's unit that can work at full or half power.
    I have a Norman 200B , from mid 70's I guess, which can work at full, half or quarter.

I feed all of them AGM batteries meant for UPS's etc rather than expensive OEM batteries.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike for all your input. This is really helpful and answers many of my questions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know this is late, but I just joined. If you will go to Metz' website, or even B&H, I think that the 356 is for use on older TLRs, like the GX and FX and maybe the earlier types of SLR Rolleis. I think that there is an updated SCA Adaptor for the cameras that have all of the flash function. Might want to check Rollei's website, too.
    Geo.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin