Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,006   Online: 768

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ball tripod heads made in China

I was surfing eBay shopping for a ball head for my tripod. I need something that will work with Mamiya RZ, 65mm lens and a prism. Weighs about 7lbs. I saw a new one listed as "Professional Ball Tripod Head With Quick Release Plate!"

It's Item #: 180594853786

Has anybody bought one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i recently bought a Benro B-1 from ebay for my RZ which i usually use wih the 50mm ULD which is a heay lens and it supports it without a problem, the Benro is from china i believe and is a knock off of benbo but MUCH cheaper, like 88 bucks for the ballhead with plate.

Bodies: 1DIII, RZ ProII, Walker Titan 45
    Other: CanoScan 8800F

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Remember, you get what you pay for.

Can't find it now, but a time ago someone posted a review of a cheap chinese ball head that included a tear down.
    The head looked very good on the outside, but dissasembly revealed that they had cut corners everywhere they could. Poorly made, using not the best materials.

But how else do you suppose they can sell them for US$ 40 (including shipping)?

So worth a try, if you don't expect it to last for as long as you need it.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    vanguard makes very good equipment and on ebay can be bought for a lot less than retail
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Giottos ball head that's Chinese and I find it excellent, I particularly like the adjustable friction on the ball and the two spirit levels in it and the interchangeable quick release platforms on top, and they have a 5year warranty. http://www.giottos.com/MH-3.htm IMO if these tripod heads were made in the West they would cost many times more.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-08-2010 at 06:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey thanks for all the referrals to the different brands. The Benro B1 or Giottos ball heads seems to be a good options. Can't afford anything over $200. I have an old Bogen head that's worn and I hate the head on my Gitzo.

Shooter
    Medium Format

chinese ball heads

Hello,

I had a Giottos MH 1303 (and still have, in a drawer) that worked wonderfully, but it was not enough fot my RB67. The camera was just too heavy and the head would creep- or I had to realllly clamp the ball down.

I tried a Benro ball (B3)- a bit stronger, but feels cheaper than the giottos.

I have been using the Photo Clam heads for about a year now, I needed a larger head for a 4x5 monorail. Super solid and holds my 4x5 and my mamiya without problems. Well made and works as it should- I got a second, smaller model (pc33) for my second, smaller tripod. Dumbest name ever. Best Chinese made head I have used so far (they may be made in Korea, I really have no idea). Well made and has lasted through a year of abuse from me.

Still waiting to find a cheap Arca-Swiss on ebay.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks for your input. I'm in the same boat as you with a heavy RZ and I also have a Sinar F monorail. The Bogen head that came with my tripod is pretty tired. I should bite the bullet and buy a nice ball head. An Arca Swiss would be nice. I have some Swiss photo gear and have never been disappointed. I gotta start saving for one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a Benro BH-2 that I use with my RB67 and it works perfectly acceptably. Of course now I need some spare QR plates I'm having issues but other than that no complaints. Cheap and cheerful.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Photo Clam heads (agree with you about the name) are actually Korean, not Chinese.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin