Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,740   Online: 1177

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad prism

I found this:
    http://www.keh.com/camera/Hasselblad...90340010?r=FE#

and it sounds like something that would be very helpful to me. I am very comfortable with the 35mm style viewfinder camera, and am finding it harder to use the WLF for portraits on my 500C and 500CM.

Would this benefit me?

PS. I have trouble seeing at a distance, so the closer the image, the easier for me to focus.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It allows better focussing, yes.
    That is: it doesn't magnify the image more (less, in fact), but the built-in diopter correction is good.

But is not a nice viewfinder for general use. A bit awkward.
    Yet, that's just my opinion. YMMV, and all that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "MAGNIFIER HOOD METAL 52096" is nothing more than a rigid WLF that doesn't magnify as much. It does block out all side light which helps seeing the entire screen. The adjustable diopter lets you correct the view to your eyesight. If you want a 35mm style viewfinder then you need a 90 degree prism. Hasselblad has several to choose from. I suggest you go to the KEH.com site and have a look. I do use my maginifying hood on occasion but I use the prism finder more. RandyB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tried one and was not happy. It is still reversed and really bulky. I love the NC2 45degree finder. It is pretty bright and compact. Mine is beat up and separated, but works great for me. Give a prism a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So check a out a 90 or 45 degree prism? they don't interfere with the back at all? I looked at them and they seem like they would bump into the film back when attached. So a prism would magnify the image so I can see my focus better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Hasselblad prisms don't interfere with most backs. So far as I know there are no interference problems with any of the 45 degree prisms, only some of the 90s with some polaroid backs, as I recall.

The one you've linked to works nicely, I had one with my first Hasselblad. It's a little less compact than the newer style prisms, but also much less expensive. You will be able to focus better, The view will be about the same or slightly less magnified than a WLF with the magnifier in place. But it also excludes the extraneous light which will also give you a better image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If going for a prism, get a 45 degree one. Much more comfortable than the 90 degree ones.
    The NC-2 is a perfect little prism. The later ones are equally good.

90 degree prisms are only needed when using a 6x4.5 back and you want to turn the camera on its side.
    When not doing that, what a 90 degree prism does is force you to hold the camera higher, in front of your face. Which also moves your arms out, away from your body, and produces a rather awkward, less stable, stance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have 2 prisms and one chimney, my favourite is the 45 degrees one, yet the 90 comes handy when tripod height is bigger (I'm a rather short guy with 175cm) and my chimney is great when is snowing and/or for night photography.

They are all great tools, depends of the different scenarios you're faced with, it's more or less like optics, employ the right one for the job in hands.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with the above, although I have never used a chimney finder. I started with a Kiev brick of a finder which did not survive a wind-caused fall of the camera on a mountain in Iceland. So I replaced it with an NC-2 (I think bargain grade). Works great.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin