Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,496   Posts: 1,571,431   Online: 1101

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank all of you for your excellent answers! It is all very confusing for me. I see the image in the wlf and always have to use the magnifier. Then of course, I'm not sure my perception of "sharp" is what is really sharp. Any optometrist photographers I can find.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It all depends on what condition your eyeglasses correct. If you're nearsighted (negative-diopter lenses) you should be able to see the groundglass clearly at waist level or with the magnifier wearing your regular glasses. If you're older and have what's known as middle-age sight, the groundglass at waist level will be blurred without reading glasses (positive diopter) but the image with magnifier (also positive diopter) will be clear without reading glasses. If you have middle-age sight and wear bifocals, the bottom half of the bifocals should be OK at waist level, the image with magnifier should be OK using the top half.
    I have middle-age sight and use the WLF with reading glasses, the magnifier without. Using a prism, the image is seen as if at a distance, so it will be clear with glasses if you're shortsighted, without glasses (or the top half of bifocals) if you have middle-age sight.
    I'm no optometrist, but I speak from experience! It all sounds complicated, but it becomes second nature.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tessar View Post
    I'm no optometrist, but I speak from experience! It all sounds complicated, but it becomes second nature.
    ... Once you have found out how to deal with your particular eyesight situation.
    It is complicated, because it's different for everyone of us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fralexis View Post
    always have to use the magnifier. Then of course, I'm not sure my perception of "sharp" is what is really sharp. Any optometrist photographers I can find.......
    I just got home about a hour ago from picking up my first pair of bifocals, right now its at least looking like for the first time I'll be able to focus a TLR without having to use the magnifier It also looks like getting use to bifocals is NOT going to be fun
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your first pair? A mere child.

I can tell you that learning to use bifocals is much easier that pretending it isn't happening to you and screwing things up because you can't see them.

I am much happier with bifocals than I would be without. Reality happens.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would it be possible to have a diopter made to fit your vision?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus S View Post
    Would it be possible to have a diopter made to fit your vision?
    That's the route i took.

Some encouraging words though:
    - Some people never get used to bifocals.
    - Some people would need trifocals (and never get used to those)
    - Varifocus glasses aren't all they are cracked up to be (and some people never get used to them).
    - Variable glasses (i.e. 'zoom' glasses) do exist, but are still clumsy affairs, and not available. Intended as cheap alternative to prescription glasses for the third world anyway, so not likely to appear in our luxury shops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The standard diopter (marked "1.5," I believe) is for people who don't need glasses, or for people who are already wearing their glasses. The corrective diopters for the flip-up part of the WLF are for those who wear glasses, but who wish to focus without them on.

So, those who wear glasses can:

1) Focus with glasses on, without the flip up magnifier
    2) Focus with glasses on, with the flip up magnifier, with the standard 1.5 magnifier installed
    3) Focus without glasses on, using the flip-up magnifier with the corrective magnifier with the proper diopter for ones vision problem installed

...and those who wear glasses cannot:

1) Focus without glasses on, without using the flip-up magnifier (except as noted above by some other folks - it depends on what kind of blind you are)
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-10-2010 at 08:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Glasses on or off, flip-up magnifier up or down, focusing is easier with a split image focusing screen. My advice is to get one of those.
    Ted

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fralexis View Post
    Thank all of you for your excellent answers! It is all very confusing for me. I see the image in the wlf and always have to use the magnifier. Then of course, I'm not sure my perception of "sharp" is what is really sharp. Any optometrist photographers I can find.......
    Sorry, should have mentioned - I always use the magnifier also ...

Once I'm 'in there' I am %100 used to the image flip and backwards horizontal movement on the GG - if I use it at waist level I sometimes get all lefty righty confused as I also use video cameras with screens that don't image flip...
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin