Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,918   Posts: 1,521,927   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

eyeglasses and waist level finders

I have a Mamiya RZ67, the greatest camera ever, with a waist level finder. I find it difficult to focus sometimes due to eyeglasses. The diopter helps. My question is this: Is it better to wear the glasses with the diopter or not? What are the experiences of others.

Also, does the AE prism finder for the RZ67 have a diopter?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I always wear my prescription eyewear. In my thinking, why focus with faulty gear?

Oh, and welcome to APUG.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you mean the built-in magnifier, you would use it with the glasses, unless you happen to be able to see the screen through it better without the glasses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the misfortune to wear bifocals, so sometimes I have to take the glasses off to see better. Which ever works.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    short sighted ...

I take mine off to focus - they just get in the way otherwise
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think that the RZ prism has a built in adjustable diopter, but they are available separately for both the prism as well as the waist level finder. According to B&Hs listing the same ones work for the RB and the RZ.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...for_Waist.html

They also have them in various strengths for the Prism:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...for_Prism.html

Of course, you need to get one that matches your prescription.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    short sighted ...

I take mine off to focus - they just get in the way otherwise
    The lens fitted is designed to work for people with normal vision. Therefore, if you need corrective lenses to 'normalise' your vision, in theory they should be used with the viefinder lens.

In practice though if you are short sighted like me, it can be an advantage. Removing glasses with a negative dioptre prescription is the same as adding a positive dioptre and can be a big advantage for close up vision - especially for looking at the image on a view camera's ground glass.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The lens fitted is designed to work for people with normal vision. Therefore, if you need corrective lenses to 'normalise' your vision, in theory they should be used with the viefinder lens.

In practice though if you are short sighted like me, it can be an advantage. Removing glasses with a negative dioptre prescription is the same as adding a positive dioptre and can be a big advantage for close up vision - especially for looking at the image on a view camera's ground glass.
    Just wait until the lenses in your eyes harden, and don't focus anymore...

I didn't need glasses to see the viewfinder either, neither with or without magnifier. But now that my eyes are fixed-focus thingies (still near-sighted, but not fixed at the distance that i would have liked), i find that a properly corrected magnifier is invaluable.

So i don't use glasses looking through the magnifier.
    Except on cameras that don't have a dioptre corrected lens in the magnifier. Then, i need my glasses. But glasses move your eye away from the lens, and can limit your field of view.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One of the reasons I love my RB is that the screen is big and the magnifier works for my eyes (right now).

It's getting tougher.

I'm in my first set of bifocals and this has been quite a learning experience.

The Rx isn't the issue.

One of the things I learned was that opticians are very good at normal but for the rest of us it's a struggle.

Many do things like set the "line" at the lower eyelid (last I checked my eyelid doesn't determine the light path ) and expect the glasses to be pushed clear up against your face (regardless of where they will normally ride or what you tell them about that ) and seem only to know about what they keep in stock (most don't seem to know about double "D" lenses which would help under a darkcloth on LF).

Okay enough ranting.

Upshot of all this is that having a hand held magnifier has become handy especially for low light.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fralexis View Post
    Also, does the AE prism finder for the RZ67 have a diopter?
    Try an AE prism finder in fairly low light before you buy it. IMHO you lose a lot of light in that right angle. My 70 year old eyes with trifocals could not get enough light to focus. The image looked in focus through the prism, but printing at 16x20 it was not. I got a Beattie split image glass for the wlf and was able to use the camera again at waist level. Alternatively going to a larger format with a larger ground glass helped more.

John Powers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin