Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,471   Posts: 1,644,179   Online: 1045

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ssakari View Post
    I am looking 6x7 format film camera mostly for landscape and macro photography. I think that I can manage heavy weight of camera and tripod. Both Pentax 67 and Mamiya RZ67 looks intresting alternatives for me but I do not have enough experience to decide either one.

What are the major issues regarding these two systems.

Thanks for helping me.
    It's too big a question; these are very different systems. Why not say more about your photography and your needs, then you will get more helpful advice. E.g. would this be for portrait, landscape, travel, street, macro... or some combo? Do you plan to work mostly handheld? What types of lenses are you looking to use... wide, long, zooms, fisheye, etc.?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Sorry, Mark, my experience with the 67II is very different.

I consistently get very sharp pictures, both under the magnifier (6x Rodenstock aspheric) and projected on a 2.2mx2.2m dalite screen using a Goetschmann G67 projector. Only with the 300mm lens, I sometimes get unsharp pictures. My tripod (Gitzo G1340 + Linhof III) obviously reaches its boundaries with this focal length.

The quality difference to 35mm slides (Leica M) is huge!

I have no explantion why our experience differs so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The original post mentioned landscape and macro.
    Most of the differences have already been mentioned so no need to repeat.
    I have both cameras and love 'em both!
    But if I had to hike very far for landscape I would take the Pentax.
    Furthermore, even though the Mamiya can focus closer thanks to the bellows, the reversing ring on the Pentax is sweet and can opens up a whole different world for macro shooters. And it's part of the system, along with the spacer rings and even one with a helicoid. I don't think Mamiya has anything like that for their system but I could be wrong.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Mamiya works better as a waist-level camera and the Pentax as an eye-level camera, although you can do both with each. But this is a very personal choice. Is there a way you can rent these cameras?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lewis View Post
    While a bit late to this thread, I just wanted to add that many people find the vibrations in the Pentax system to be problematic, even with the mirror locked up on a sturdy tripod.
    Can you post a few shots that showed the vibration problem? I have owned my P67-II for almost 10 years now I have never had a unsharp shot not cause by unstable hands. Not because I don't believe you. I just never saw a picture that shows the widely speculated problem of Pentax 67 camera system. Every time Pentax 67 system was discussed there were always posts talking about this problem. I would really like to see an example image. I am particularly interested in seeing one that is blurred on the right side but not else where on the frame.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to have two pentax bodies back in the 80's and found them to be very limiting but the lenses to be very good. I do feel that shutter bounce on those beasts were a factor and flash/strobe work was terrible. We used them because of the negative size - used to look amazing on a light table.

I currently use an RZ. The things I like about it in a minor way are the half stop speeds, the shutter sync speeds and the interchangeable prisms. Mamiya is a great and versatile system, and it is still a current system.

What I LOVE about the RZ (and RB) is the incredible minimum focus distances as well as the ability to lock the focus. That is sooo cool. I can set up a shot and then try a different filter and not worry about focus shifting. As for the focus distances - my 50 can focus withing about one and a half inches from the front of the glass. Try to find a 24 equivalent that does that! As someone who likes to do near-macro a lot ... it is one of the major draws of the system. It is nice that I can use lenses from my old RB setup, though I have gotten rid of them now, now that the RZ lenses can be found so super cheap. I traded in my hassy system (503 millenium and three lenses) to make the jump and other than the size, which makes it a hand holdable camera only for well trained weightlifters - I'm very happy.

The RZ lenses are good. They look different than the way Hasselblad lenses and I often prefer them. The mamiya lenses imho have less micro contrast but are very sharp and even except wide open.

I've got three backs for it so I can do a crude zone system shooting and the backs are the easiest I've ever had to load, and the backs are affordable.

Lastly, should one want to indulge in that form of photography which shall not be mentioned ... it is possible.

What is there not to love!
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin