Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,715   Posts: 1,514,760   Online: 805

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Pentax 67 vs. Mamiya RZ67

I am looking 6x7 format film camera mostly for landscape and macro photography. I think that I can manage heavy weight of camera and tripod. Both Pentax 67 and Mamiya RZ67 looks intresting alternatives for me but I do not have enough experience to decide either one.

What are the major issues regarding these two systems.

Thanks for helping me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've not used the Pentax system, so I won't speak to it... the RZ is, I think, bit more versatile in that you can change backs and formats, so if you want, for example, a square format you can get a back for it. If you aren't interested in that, then the Pentax might be a bit of a more compact system, as it functions more like a big 35mm. If you can rent either for a week or so, that might be the best way to see which suits your needs best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own the Pentax 67 II with AE meter. The major issue is weight. Used for landscapes, the system demands to be used on a tripod. This has very little to do with the mirror bounce, as I have come to the conclusion that landscape photography simply requires a tripod. The weight of a kit for two weeks of backpacking is just a bit much. Like most P67 users, I wish the system had removable backs. The limiting factor with my P67 is the photographer, not the equipment.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Its not a question of mechanics but optics. I like Pentax lenses more than Mamiya.
    Just visit flickr galleries and decide which lens and film make you dreaming about final result.
    If you wish to unless make speed photography , you can concentrate on mechanics , if you will make tripod photography , its about concentrating on optics.
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 12-11-2010 at 07:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax 105mm/2.4 is one particular lens that I'd like to have.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an RB67 but no experience with the Pentax. One of the major pluses for the RB is the "system". Interchangeable back allow you to go from color to B&W mid roll. It also allows you to change formats...6x4.5, 6x7, 6x8. The back also rotates so you can go from portrait to landscape by just turning the back and not the whole camera. Mamiya lens are outstanding as well! Different viewfinders, focusing screens...and an extremely good buy right now.

Another thing is that the RB focuses with bellows which allows for very close up shots without using extension tubes. If you use extension tubes it is like macro!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the RB67 because of the interchangeable backs.

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Swappable backs, higher flash sync speeds, close-focus ability without tubes or dedicated macro lenses, rotating film back that eliminates portrait/landscape flipflop. That pretty much sums up why I own an RB67 and not a Pentax 6x7. Both systems have excellent lenses and superb build quality but I found the RB67 to be more flexible. Still, I do like the Pentax with strobes for studio work where mobility is necessary.
    Last edited by CGW; 12-11-2010 at 09:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Pentax 67MkII with AE prism and a RB (not RZ) with WLF. I guess a RZ with AE prism will be closer to the Pentax than the RB. I am a long time user of 35mm SLRs and I did take to the Pentax as a blown up SLR and the results are good. I have used the RB hand held, a bit different from the SLR style of the Pentax but it's possible. Undoubtedly both return best results on a tripod. One advantage of the RZ with leaf lenses will be flash synchronization if that is an issue. Others have mentioned the advantage of interchange backs. Choose the kit that suits your style of working, both are great systems.

Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin