Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,315   Online: 1049

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photo_guy View Post
    Both will be around in the future. Three brief points:

Photography is about physics so until minature sensor cameras can meet or surpass the light capturing ability of large sensor cameras you will see both.

Large segment of population want smaller and smaller cameras. IMO once you been familiar with benefits of larger cameras, the minature ones are just a novelty.

Many say that video and still imagery will converge, but just like music videos and CDs, sometimes you just want the music and not a whole production...
    Then why are DSLRs getting so bulky n heavy?... they weight more than some MF cameras.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Then why are DSLRs getting so bulky n heavy?... they weight more than some MF cameras.
    Pro DSLRs are getting no more heavier than they have been. I've been shooting digital for over 10years and we are far past the days of the Kodak DCS Pro units.

So when was the last time you held a medium for DSLR? I have both Mamiya and Hasselblad, and I struggle with the Mamiya handholding, but the Hasselblad is out of the question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a feeling paul ron was referring to medium format film cameras.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got the impression that some responses referenced film cameras...

I was looking at big picture, and cameras in general. I've seen so much advancement in photography in last several years, that I myself wonder if still image only units will even be around in 7 years.

Not just the live view and EVIL type camera tech., but device processors are becoming so powerful- that playing music, recording hi-def, and taking still images will become 2nd nature. Wont be long before cellphones are using chips found in current day digicams.

At any rate, enjoyed the discussions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Imagine how horrible a room festooned with video screens instead of still images would be! I have a few thousand feet of 8mm movie film that hasn't been out of its case in decades, and probably never will be. Alas, what a waste of time and money.

Just as photography didn't eliminate drawing and painting, videos and digital imaging won't eliminate film for artists. Because of photographers and artists interested in image quality, large format might outlast the smaller cameras. The convenience of digital imaging makes it the choice of the multitudes who prefer taking thousands of snapshots instead of making one good photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're really in the wrong forum to ask about the future of digital cameras. Go check out photo.net or something I guess.

Cell phones with DSLR sensors? No, not enough real estate and honestly there is no market pressure for it.

Still images going away? Maybe, the current focus sure seems to be the, "oh and one more thing, this entire commercial was shot with this Canon/Nikon/Olympus _blank_!" Everyone seems to love video, youtube and all that but oh well. It isn't for me. I don't want to watch a video for minutes, "oh but you didn't wait for 2:32? that was the good part." Then give me a still image of the good part.

As said above photography didn't doom painting and sketching. It freed it. The same can be true for photography over digital work. People still make oils and hopefully there will still be film.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    127 Format
    When people tire of digicraps they will look for new avenues for artistic expression. Film will come back as a niche and there will be demand for new film cameras with many of the features of digicraps.

I think there will be some manufacturers introducing new analogue cameras. But they will be much different from the film cameras we have now.

Perhaps they will have self-developing film.

They will have to bridge the gap between film's physical permanence and digicrap's instant gratification.

To go along with the cameras, there will likely be a film printer where one inserts their film and gets an instant print. Those prints could easily be optical with paper that develops in room light in a simple water bath. People will want to watch the print develop, like a polaroid, for the full experience.

The appeal will not be purely on superior quality but more on the "easy-bake" aspect of artistic expression.

Serious photographers will decry these new cameras as crappy toys. Digicrap users will hang on till their last memory card fizzles.
    Last edited by wblynch; 12-14-2010 at 06:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi,

I am new to this forum. I hope that film camaras will be around for a long time to come. I shoot 35, medium format, and digital. My favorate camara is the mamiya 7. I love the look of negative print film. I like the new Portra 400 film in 120 format. I think that the masses will settle for new digital version of camaras in the future. However, I also think that many of us, old and young, will still embrace film, because of its look and feel. But most of the people, will indeed, will shoot digital.

Perhaps, the cell phone camara or something similar will take over the mass market.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film is not dead...

Yet. But digital may be, at least for me. I spent a few months looking for a reasonably priced used digital back for MF, and the only stuff that reliably came up for under 3 grand were very early ones that have the resolution of a digital p+s; or stuff that had to be used with some out of date computer that they'd sell you with it. Seemed like a lot of trouble for arguably still-inferior results, so I gave up. I probably don't have a real good line on the good stuff, but it seems to still be more trouble than it's worth for "hi-fi" digital.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--nosmok

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "FSLR" ? Really? This is Apug. It is SLR, son.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin