Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,118   Online: 1124

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format

You've given me something to consider.

I guess we have covered about all there is to cover in this post, and you have given me some things to consider. Mostly I never even thought about the cell phone camera. I guess because I don't own a cell phone I wasn't thinking about those as a camera. I didn't mean for this to get into a digital/film debate as I believe there will be both types for years to come. I'm actually sort of an oddball in that I see a return to film to some extent. I think real cameras will be able to take both types of 'film'. That is why I look for cameras with removable backs to be in the future. Even if cell phone cameras are sharp, you still can't get past the quality of a bigger lense with either film or the large sensor of a big camera. Thank you for your time and comments, they have been interesting. Later, Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Removable backs for digital are so rare that they still cost many thousands of dollars. There is so little demand for them that I see no chance of them becoming mainstream, absolutely none. I dreamed years ago of this on my Canon AE-1, then on the EOS-1 but instead they made dedicated bodies for them which could only be salvaged back to film use. Of course there is no way to turn an EOS-1D into an EOS-1V now.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    While I'm not terribly surprised to see the decline in 35mm film cameras, I must admit to being surprised and disappointed at the rapid decline of medium format film cameras, which haven't been used much by consumers for a long time, but have been the preserve of serious photographers. A medium format negative still contains far more information than its digital counterpart--and the digital "equivalent" of medium format costs as much as a Mercedes and will lose value more quickly. Moreover, it isn't really equivalent; my Nikons still do better with b & w, and there is a big problem with electronic storage of any image--my slides and negatives from 30 years ago are mostly as good as ever, but the electronic images may not be readable, even if the media are still around, by the time the baby grows up. I sometimes worry that our generation will leave few documents for history--and so it may be time to learn how to paint...

Shooter
    127 Format
    Worse is the loss of hand-written letters.

Can anyone imagine a future grandchild finding a stack of neatly tied love "e-mails" or "texts" from Grandpa to Grandma?

No diaries either.
    - Bill Lynch

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin