Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,294   Online: 839

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MF cameras with mechanical shutters?

I was pretty set on getting a Bronica SQ as my first MF (yes, I'm still waffling on that) when I was reading in the manual that it uses a 6v Lithium/Alkaline battery like my AE-1. Well, I was out in the cold this morning and my AE-1's battery died on me, temporarily from the cold and that reminded me that I really wanted something fully mechanical like my preferred FTbN instead. I assume that like the AE-1, the Bronica SQ will have battery problems in extreme cold in which I often find myself shooting. The SQ falls back to a 1/500 shutter if the battery dies but that isn't really good enough.

So I'm wondering, which MF cameras are fully mechanical for shutter control? Mamiya RB? Fuji GSW 690-III? Fuji GW690-III? Pentax 6x7? Is there a list somewhere? I searched the forum and google but couldn't find one, sorry if I missed some easy search parameters.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you want a Hasselblad.... all mechanical.... no batteries..... I use them both for just that reason! Great lenses, too..... but very expensive, but its only money, isn't it?
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Money is the most replacable thing... thanks for the advice. Any suggestion on models to look for? Still not sure they're in my price range but worth a look.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya C series TLRs are fully mechanical.

Some of the Mamiya 645 cameras can use a battery holder that allows you to keep the battery itself inside a jacket or other protected environment.

The electronic shutters themselves have an advantage in cold weather - they are not as prone to slowing down.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Consider the Mamiya RB 67 series. They are cheap, great optics and fully mechanical and very well built. You might also consider some of the Fuji rangefinders. Excluding the fully automatic zoom 645, most of them use batteries just for metering. I have a GS 645 that's fully mechanical and I use it in all kinds of weather--snow, rain, etc. with no problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might also consider a Rollei TLR or a Rollei SL66 (if you can find one).

Cheers.

Morry Katz - Lethbridge Alberta

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rollei TLRs, Mamiya RB (but not RZ), Mamiya C330 TLRs, Hasselblad 500c, 500cm, 501c, 501cm, 503cx. Some hasselblads have electronic focal plane shutters, like the 205tcc, and some have mechanical shutters but electric film advance. All mamiya 645 models have electronic shutters. Pentax 67 is also electronic, even the oldest ones.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You mean system cameras, right, with interchangeable lenses? Not just medium format cameras?

Because that helps narrow the replies a bit.

Among medium format cameras, nearly all cameras made before 1970 had mechanically controlled shutters. And many medium format cameras didn't have meters built into the bodies.

And then there are the decades of folding cameras and twin-lens models -- with most of the metered models relying on the batteryless selenium cell.

But I think you mean interchangeable-lens models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kievs are mechanical too, only need batteries for TTL prisms.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Older Bronicas, such as the S2A, have mechanical focal plane shutters. Except the EC* models.

Trond

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin