Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,986   Online: 856

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Unexplained spots on Rolleiflex negative

Greetings,
    I have long been impressed with the collective knowledge at APUG and I was hoping that you could help me out. I have been using a Rolleiflex TLR 3.5F (Xenotar) for about 5 years, after it was beautifully serviced by Harry Fleenor. My most recent negatives appear to be sporting these dark, ill-defined, discolorations along the right upper border (and extending to the right lower border at times). As you can see from the attached contact sheet, they are not entirely consistent, but they are always on the same side so I suspect it is not a processing issue. Incidentally, I expose the film at box speed, use x-tol 1:1 but subtract 45"-1' from the recommended development time, a water stop bath and ilford liquid fixer. I thought it might be from a light leak...but none are apparent and the staining is not as severe as I would have expected. I suspect it could also be from internal reflections (I usually use a hood, occasionally an orange filter, but am not certain if that makes a difference). I was hoping someone here could give me a clue, before I ship the camera off for service. Thanks,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails File0137.jpg  
    Last edited by MichaelR; 12-15-2010 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Is it only this particular roll? It looks like the roll might have been contaminated before it went into the camera, perhaps it got wet? I had a friend lose some rolls that got damp in storage and looked kind of like that.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Air bells during development? Or possibly chemical contamination on one side of the reel? Say more about how you are developing the film- tank, timing, etc. Those are processing marks, not camera marks, so don't worry about sending the camera back.

The B&W forum would be another place to get answers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are all on the same side so you suspect it IS a processing error . I'll bet that side of the film was UP when it was in the tank, right? Try adding more developer to the tank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    it could be not enough developer those look like the bubbles that form from shaking... but the large half moon dark streaks... you got me..

Shooter
    Medium Format

spots

This may be a little off the wall, But if the marks on the proof are dark then they must be clear on the film And the image is a repeatable image suggesting something inside the camera comes into contact with film at different times. Perhaps a piece of fabric or thread hanging on the side of the interior And under the right conditions, film advance , angle of camera etc, moves. I would inspect the interior thoroughly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all. The spots on the negative are along the long axis of the roll of film. I use a patterson tank so that this would not be the top nor the bottom. As far as chemical contamination on the roller...that is an interesting thought, but the radius of the roller is such that it must make several revolutions across each frame and I would expect to see "clones" of the spots in a regular sequence across the film. As far as bubbles from shaking...how come they are always along the same side of the film. It is also on previous rolls, but I always thought it was just an isolated screw up....now it seems more frequent. When I enlarged the images to 10x13 (on 11x 14 ilford fb mg paper) it was quite noticeable. The fabric idea is interesting...but I don't think there is fabric inside this rolleiflex at all. I will look inside when I finish the current roll of film, but it looked fine before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must apologize, especially to ic-racer and heespharm. I looked at the contact sheet again and they are indeed on the upper edge of the film. You are probably right, and I will make sure to add additional chemicals. I use the amount of xtol recommended on the bottom of the tank, I believe it is 9oz stock plus 9 oz water, but perhaps my fixer, which I re-use, may be slightly less. Thanks to all, I think your explanations most likely explain it. I will let you know the results when I process my next roll of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
    I must apologize, especially to ic-racer and heespharm. I looked at the contact sheet again and they are indeed on the upper edge of the film. You are probably right, and I will make sure to add additional chemicals. I use the amount of xtol recommended on the bottom of the tank, I believe it is 9oz stock plus 9 oz water, but perhaps my fixer, which I re-use, may be slightly less. Thanks to all, I think your explanations most likely explain it. I will let you know the results when I process my next roll of film.
    I used to get these with a Vivitar brand reel and was NEVER able to get rid of all of them 100% until I moved to rotray processing. In my case, years ago, air bubbles would get trapped at the top of the reel. No problem with 35mm, but with the 120 film the image comes much closer to the reel, so the air bells would show as oblong marks. I hope you are able to solve this.

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    those splotches look to me as the film has been expired long ago and it stayed a bit longer than it should in the developer. I get the same results whenever I use 20 years old Orwo and shoot it at native iso or push +1 or +2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin