Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 735

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya RB67 NPC Polaroid back instructions?

Anyone have the instructions for the Mamiya RB67 NPC Polaroid back or can give a quick explanation? How do I pull the film out after a shot? How do I reload a pack? How do I know the pack is done? Thanks!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not have the instructions, but the processes you are talking about are exactly the same as any polaroid back or pack film camera, so there have to be instructions out there that will be helpful.

Here is a manual for the pack film model 220. If you look at the second page, the open back is basically the same as your NPC polaroid back. The rollers are identical, etc.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/polaroi...laroid_220.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I realized that some of the instructions in the manual are not the clearest, so basically here is the drill.

Put the film in and close the back, making sure that the black tab is sticking out of the back. It will seem a little strange and look like it is coming out the wrong place, don't worry. Pull on the black tab and pull the paper out all the way and discard, it will be a foot or more long. Make sure that a small white paper tab is sticking out of the camera. You are now ready to shoot.

Take your exposure, once the exposure is taken, pull the small white tab all the way out. You will see a larger tab show up. Pull it out all the way, straight out of the back. That is your actual photo. Keep it closed for as long as the instructions indicate. After that time has elapsed, peel the photo off of the pack and discard the rest. The photo will be wet, make sure it dries out before putting it away, it will stick to stuff.

That's really it. Pretty simple.

have fun!

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for that!

I tried a couple of pictures but the entire thing came out white, no black frame at all. Yes, I pulled the dark slide out AFTER I'd mounted the back. The manual says white means overexposure but I would think that the black outline of the 6x7 rectangle would not be white. The film is old, does that mean it is fogged to white or was exposed? I guess I'll need to try a new Fuji Instant pack once I confirm that the camera is working (and I know how to work it) with conventional film. Too bad, I thought the Polaroid would be a quick check. I really should have thought to try it with the original owner to see if he remembered how to use the Polaroid back but I wasn't thinking at the time.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    To pull out a film, first pull white tab out at medium speed in a straight line. This will bring out the picture pack's black tab in a separate slot. Pull the black tab out and start timing for development--depends on film type and temperature of your location. Then when time is up, peel print (it is gray-backed) off the negative.

Your pack is empty if you have used up either 8 or 10 films, depending on film type. I could say it might be empty if no more tabs come out--assuming nothing jammed inside the film holder!!!

To reload, take your thumbnail and slip under the metal bail (clip) on the right side of the holder (on the tab pulling side). Pop the bail out and swing it and the film door open. Pull out the empty film pack. Check the rollers for leftover goop from film developer pod. Lift out the rollers on their red plastic clip and clean with damp cloth. Resist temptation to scratch off hardened goop deposits with fingernails! That can scratch the rollers--I think Polaroid info said that. Insert rollers and click back into place.

Open your new film and remove from foil package. Lay the NPC back open on a table in front of you with hinged end on the left. Hold the film pack with the tabs on the right and black paper label covering the film window facing away from you. Place the tabless end of the film pack into the holder first and push left and downward to snap it in place. Make sure the tabs are fluffed out to the right side and not squished beneath the pack. Close lid leaving black tab sticking out. Latch the bail. Make sure the darkslide is inserted. Pull out the black paper cover tab. You're ready!

Please-- others chime in if I led this shooter astray!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Thanks for that!

I tried a couple of pictures but the entire thing came out white, no black frame at all. Yes, I pulled the dark slide out AFTER I'd mounted the back. The manual says white means overexposure but I would think that the black outline of the 6x7 rectangle would not be white. The film is old, does that mean it is fogged to white or was exposed? I guess I'll need to try a new Fuji Instant pack once I confirm that the camera is working (and I know how to work it) with conventional film. Too bad, I thought the Polaroid would be a quick check. I really should have thought to try it with the original owner to see if he remembered how to use the Polaroid back but I wasn't thinking at the time.
    Did the print stick to the negative when you pulled it out of the back? Old film will dry out and the paper and negative sides will not stick together and will not process. I am wondering if that could be the issue. I have never had film that failed to create an image except for times when the pack was very old and dried out.

Here is a web link to some decent photos on the land list showing pack film camera operation. http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/how2-packuse.htm You will see all of the various steps, the last image shows the picture being peeled off after developing. It will be nice and gooey, if the whole thing does not stick together and there is no goo inside, then it is old film. If that is not the case, my guess is that it is not film age that is causing the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, also check out this Youtube video, pretty clear demonstration of how it all works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aucniWcRjdU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is old and completely dry, was loaded in the back years ago. I bought it used. I'll try a new pack of Fuji instant, my local store has some. Thanks for the video.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the ticket then, dried out Polaroid is a goner. Polaroid film, at least the pack films as I have no experience with integral films, does not age as well as regular film. The issue is pretty much always dried out chemical pods.

Have fun with your new RB, by the way!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, it is too bad this one seems to have been loaded and then not used but in the years it has dried out completely. If the pack had not been installed I wonder if it would have been good? Perhaps not. Ah well, at least I got some practice at pulling the films out of the holder.

Any idea how long they should last? It shouldn't really take long to use up a pack of 10. FP100C for $25 doesn't seem too bad so I might have to pick up a fresh pack.

I'm already having fun with it even though I haven't had any results back yet. Tomorrow I hope to get some film back and find out how well it is working. If I could get a 120 reel I could do some B&W but the ones I've ordered have not shipped yet from Henrys so I'm not sure they're in stock. Perhaps I should have ordered from the USA...

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin