Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,532   Online: 1151

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rotating back of the Mamiya 6x7's is very convenient but they are NOT light... still if you want something light I think you should look smaller than 645. The biggest 35mm SLRs are as heavy as the lightest 645's but the lightest 35mm are much lighter and more compact.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If at times need slightly longer or wider, why not look for the accessory lenses that you can snap on the front. I've got a set of Yashicas and the quality degradation is not as much as I expected. They are not all that rare. Of course there is always the alternative teleRollei and WA version also. But with these there is no cost savings. I've used both and liked them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    645 and 2-1/4 square hit the sweet spot where resolution of the better lenses is on par with (no longer bottlenecked by) the limits of detail that most common film emulsions can resolve. It's fairly easy to bump up against these film resolution limits in 35mm, certainly in low-contrast lighting. Larger than 645, the challenge becomes finding a system with lenses that aren't the bottleneck.

+1 for the Pentax 645N or NII. Great feature set, great viewfinder, rugged build. Lenses are sharp, plentiful, and relatively cheap. (Non-AF ones have exquisitely smooth focusing helixes.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a set of Yashicas
    I have a Yashica (MAT 124-G) too but I am finding the accessory lenses that you can snap on the front of terrible quality. So if you want a tele: Free of charge in a nice box!

Comparing the Yashica to the Bessa III is comparing a Hasselblad against a Lubitel. The only thing they have in common: You can take pictures with it.

I like the TLR for IR photography.
    Here an example: MAT 124-G with Heliopan RG715 Bay I filter. Film Rollei IR 820/400 120 roll film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruvy View Post
    Thanks Keithwms

All good advices. My concern about the mamiya 645 and Brnica (I had the 6X6 and it was fine) is weight and they feel heavy and strange in portrait mode.
    The ga645w will be a good choice for landscape but I am looking for a do it all (ok just as much as possible). a zoon like the zi may come close and 645n with interchangeable lenses will probably have a wider range of suitabilities. Have you tried either one of these well enough to compare them to the ga645?
    Not sure I understand what you're asking about the zi; you mean, compared to the pentax 645ns? They are completely different. I tried a 645n2 once and I really really liked it. I decided it wasn't for my own purposes but I liked it very much. My suggestion is to price a system and try it out. If you want a do-it-all 645, you'll probably adore it. I wasn't looking for a do-it-all system; I was looking foremost for travel compactness. And about 95% of what I care to shoot is scenic stuff. When I do closeups it's almost always with an rb, rz, or larger LF camera.

One unrelated admonition: don't compare the pentax 67 and the 645n2. Totally different in almost every way.

Robert, with all due respect because you have shown lovely results, I don't see how a folder fits this person's needs. They are lovely cameras but... close focus? Portrait? Fast? Accurate framing?? Can you share any portraits or closeups with this camera? So far I've only seen scenic shots with all compositional elements in focus. I'd like to see how the camera fares with closeup headshots, with wide open aperture.

My parting ramble is that if you (original poster) want the versatility of 35mm... then use 35mm! Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Format wanking is unhealthy and will eventually make you blind I have witnessed this so many times: people doing just fine with one format, then encountering a slightly larger one and thinking it will transform their results. And then they hop to the next larger and the next larger. This way of thinking just boggles me. Been there done that. I find plenty of unique uses for all the formats. How big you can [theoretically!] enlarge before seeing grain is, to me, just about the silliest argument in all of photography. At the end of the day, with good film choice and development technique, the differences are far less important than how the different formats enable completely different ways of seeing. End of rant
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. I recall one weakness of the 645n2, which would probably be important for wedding/event shooters: the flash synch is slow as molasses.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you hpulley

Yes, I love the rotating back on the 6X7 but I am not a studio shooter not do I shoot in any pre planed setups (wish I did) - 645 seems a more practical direction or stay with what I have as 6x6
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    The rotating back of the Mamiya 6x7's is very convenient but they are NOT light... still if you want something light I think you should look smaller than 645. The biggest 35mm SLRs are as heavy as the lightest 645's but the lightest 35mm are much lighter and more compact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Pupfish for the encouragement for the Pentax 645n - need to find one for a good price..
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
    645 and 2-1/4 square hit the sweet spot where resolution of the better lenses is on par with (no longer bottlenecked by) the limits of detail that most common film emulsions can resolve. It's fairly easy to bump up against these film resolution limits in 35mm, certainly in low-contrast lighting. Larger than 645, the challenge becomes finding a system with lenses that aren't the bottleneck.

+1 for the Pentax 645N or NII. Great feature set, great viewfinder, rugged build. Lenses are sharp, plentiful, and relatively cheap. (Non-AF ones have exquisitely smooth focusing helixes.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you again keithwms,

Your "parting ramble" makes all the sens in the world. I am shooting now a lot of 6X6 and some 645 and feel comfortable with them. I didn't care for the 4X5 when I tried them - never new if I should bring the subject to the camera or the camera to the subject - in retrospect i think it was just to satisfy my curiosity. I feel comfortable with 35mm too but will have a DSLR sooner or later (to substitute one that was stolen nearly a year ago) so I see little sens in investing in 35mm film camera - they are just to close for the way I use both.
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Not sure I understand what you're asking about the zi; you mean, compared to the pentax 645ns? They are completely different. I tried a 645n2 once and I really really liked it. I decided it wasn't for my own purposes but I liked it very much. My suggestion is to price a system and try it out. If you want a do-it-all 645, you'll probably adore it. I wasn't looking for a do-it-all system; I was looking foremost for travel compactness. And about 95% of what I care to shoot is scenic stuff. When I do closeups it's almost always with an rb, rz, or larger LF camera.

My parting ramble is that if you (original poster) want the versatility of 35mm... then use 35mm! Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Format wanking is unhealthy and will eventually make you blind I have witnessed this so many times: people doing just fine with one format, then encountering a slightly larger one and thinking it will transform their results. And then they hop to the next larger and the next larger. This way of thinking just boggles me. Been there done that. I find plenty of unique uses for all the formats. How big you can [theoretically!] enlarge before seeing grain is, to me, just about the silliest argument in all of photography. At the end of the day, with good film choice and development technique, the differences are far less important than how the different formats enable completely different ways of seeing. End of rant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Format wanking is unhealthy and will eventually make you blind
    That would make a good sig line.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin