Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,067   Online: 876

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For landscapes you usually use a small aperture so 1/500th of a second is not a problem unless you're trying to shoot 3200 film in sunny f/16 weather. My Mamiya RB67 only goes to 1/400th with its mechanical leaf shutters but for what I shoot with it, that's fine, 400 ISO film is 1/400th @f/16 in bright sun, go figure. If I need to shoot sports or birds in flight, running children I'll more commonly use my EOS 1N RS with up to 1/8000th electronic vertical shutter speed, 5-10 frames per second motor drive and servo autofocus available.

This morning however, a chance sighting of a Bald Eagle had me with a 300mm lens for my manual focus, manual exposure Canon FTbN (max shutter speed 1/1000) or 70mm on my autofocus auto-exposure EOS 650 so obviously I choose the FTbN. I only had 400 ISO film loaded so I shot at 1/500th, hopefully they turn out! Usually I have my EF 100-400mm zoom with me but my EF setup was just for a Christmas party where I don't usually need 400mm...
    Last edited by hpulley; 12-20-2010 at 02:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am on the side of NO---well as long as I'm not shooting sports. For general landscape/architectural photography I rarely use above 1/60 and mostly 1/2 to 1/15. When you stop the lens down and stick a orange or red filter you start to bump against reciprocity issues.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most of Ansel's shutters for his big cameras probably had 1/50th or even 1/30th as an upper speed limit, so no, he never used a speed that fast for his landscapes. Most of his landscape shots were probably done somewhere in the region of 1/4 to 1 second, and some were probably much slower than that, like Moonrise, Hernandez. Some of his later lenses might have been as fast as 1/125th, but most were not likely to be any faster than that. Remember that Ansel was one of the founding figures of the f64 school, known for shooting at the minimum aperture on the lens to record all detail as sharply as possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On rare occasion I might hit 1/250, other than that much less than that.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not shooting sports/birds/kids, the fastest shutter speed I've used during last year was probably 1/250, and my OM-4 goes to 1/2000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you feel 1/500 sec max shutter speed is a problem?
    No.

Did people like AA that shot landscapes with big 8x10's use ND filters
    I'm sure that AA would have used ND filters when they may have been called for.
    But especially with a camera like an 8x10, a "normal" lens at 300 mm or so might not be much faster than f/16, and would rarely be used wide open anyway.
    A 1/500 shutter would be fine, and not too likely to be used that fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not having a shutter speed of faster than 1/500has never been a problem on my Mamiya cameras, if I did I'd use a neutral density filter.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera;
    Remember that Ansel was one of the founding figures of the f64 school, known for shooting at the minimum aperture on the lens to record all detail as sharply as possible.
    You are referring to maximizing depth of field, right?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since this question is being asked in the MF forum, I'll answer in regards to my MF cameras. I have rarely shot a MF camera at 1/500, much less had the need to shoot faster. The camera is often on a tripod, and a slow speed is needed for more depth of field (allowing a smaller aperture). When I do shoot something that needs less dof, 1/500 is almost always enough for the apertures I have.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMO, 1/500th sec shutter speed (in conjunction with a minimum f/22 aperture) is the minimum specification required to ensure convenient use of ISO400 film.

(Of course, if needs must, you can always use a neutral density filter to reduce the effective speed of your film. But, that is messier.)

If you mostly use ISO100 or ISO200 film, a minimum shutter speed of 1/500th sec (combined with a minimum aperture of f/22 or f/16) should be more than adequate.

Many older cameras have relatively low minimum shutter speeds as the films of the day were very slow by today's standards (like ISO 6 to ISO25). ISOs of 100 to 200 would have been considered supersonic and of 400 unimaginable. That is why I find Kodak Retinas (shutter 1/500th and aperture F22) amazingly farsighted in their specifications: quite adequate for ISO400, a film speed unimaginable in the day they were designed.

(I'm interested in -and use- a number of older cameras and I generally prefer them to have a shutter speed of at least as low as 1/500th and to go to f/22)
    Last edited by Galah; 12-20-2010 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin