Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,783   Posts: 1,671,247   Online: 953

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Do you feel 1/500 sec max shutter speed is a problem?

How many feel that have a max shutter speed of 1/500 is a problem?
    How often do you find 1/500 in not fast enough because of light.
    No sports photography so that is no problem.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    Usualy - no.
    But, sometimes, mostly on trips under strong daylight when I've wanted to shoot portraits, from family and friends, I couldn't use open apperture like 1.4 - 2.8, even on slow film like Portra 160, was a problem, even with 1/1000th.
    "It's not about the pictures, concepts, people, human bodies, emotions, experimentations, colours, dreams, tricky scenes, camera or imaginations.. it's about the poetry behind them all."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heh, I only wish I had a shutter that fast on a couple of my cameras! As one who does mostly landscapes and old grungy industrial stuff, I don't find it limiting. I am somewhat awed that in these days of super high performance electronic shutters speeds like 1/500 or 1/1000 might be thought of as "slow." For allowing a large aperture for reduced DOF, an ND filter or a polarizer could rein in the light a bit if needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    How many feel that have a max shutter speed of 1/500 is a problem?
    How often do you find 1/500 in not fast enough because of light.
    No sports photography so that is no problem.
    Wow 1/500! I only get 1/125 shooting 8x10 .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It certainly limits my ability to shoot wide open in mid day sun and forces me to have the right speed film but it hasn't bothered me to a point that I'd say it's a short coming. Realistically speaking, it hasn't bothered me at all in most shooting conditions.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have had issues at elevation (colorado, no clouds) with tri-x (TXP). The correct answer is to use slower film (of course). The next best answer is ND filters. If your top speed is 1/125 (copal 3 shutter, for example) you definitely want to think about it carefully. 1/500 is just some handwaving.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, as someone that shoots a Brownie with a 1/50 shutter top speed I now have to envy you as someone that has a really fast shutter.

Honestly, I do own more modern cameras that have shutters that go up to 1/500 and beyond, and I hardly ever use those speeds even with 400 speed film. If bokeh is important to you just use slower film, while faster films are a lot better today than in the 70's, slower films still make the best photos.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Several of my folders only have 1/300, and to be honest I love using the cameras so much that I don't have a problem, if I want to get the aperture open I can use ND filters, so I am happy, indeed, one of my cameras, a 1938 Bessa 66, only goes to 1/175, Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Absolutely NOT. I remember that one of the camera magazines ran an article on the top speed of cameras with mechanical FP shutters. In all their tests a marked top speed of 1/1000 was usually something like 1/65o. Just because it's on the dial doesn't mean that it is true. Why the difference, chalk it up to inertia.

In order to get better results requires the use of lighter parts. But this makes the shutter more prone to damage.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 12-20-2010 at 02:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Did people like AA that shot landscapes with big 8x10's use ND filters?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin