Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,670   Online: 886

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    NASA used Hasselblad cameras to photograph the astronauts on the moon. They were specially modified so the astronauts could operate them while wearing their thick spacesuit gloves. The moon is very cold, which is why the other poster said your Hasselblad would be ok in Russia's winters, but I think the Hasselblads used on the moon had special lubricants in them to work in very cold conditions.
    Oh! I forgot about it But i think that Hasselblad made a special edition of it's camera for moon expedition

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    ...I've taken my Hasselblad 500CM shooting in Edmonton for 3 winters. The average temperature during winter is around -17 (between -5 and -35 all winter). I've NEVER had an issue, but my Hasselblad was also CLA'd 4 years ago with some replaced parts, so the grease and everything might be slicker than yours. Either way, I have only heard of problems when it's ridiculously cold (-40) on other Hasselblad bodies that require batteries. My thoughts are that if it's cold enough to effect your Hasselblad, it's probably too cold to be out shooting.
    What is CLA? Is that an repair service or something like that?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It´s a maintenance service, stands for: clean, lubricate, adjust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by romunas View Post
    Oh! Thanks to all for answers! So i see that my Hassy can make shots on cold weather without serious problems if the temperature will not be too low. That's really great!
    I have brought up a 500C/M and a SWC to both the top of Mt Blanc, Matterhorn and even in Himalaya (but only to BC, so actually warmer then the alps) and there is no problem. I have even used them during the winter season were weather is really really cold (below -20, in any scale

So no worry, just use it, its a work horse

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    It´s a maintenance service, stands for: clean, lubricate, adjust.
    Oh! I see. Thank you

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandholm View Post
    I have brought up a 500C/M and a SWC to both the top of Mt Blanc, Matterhorn and even in Himalaya (but only to BC, so actually warmer then the alps) and there is no problem. I have even used them during the winter season were weather is really really cold (below -20, in any scale

So no worry, just use it, its a work horse
    Thanks a lot! Now i see that i can use it absolutely easily!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All depends on the state of the grease in your camera and lens though.
    If it is old, and stiff, it will cause problems. Cameras and lenses that have been CLA-ed recently will be fine.

The first thing you will notice of a cold related problem is the shutter becoming a bit slower, i.e. shutterspeeds longer.

One other thing, though, is the film itself. It can become dry and brittle. So wind on slowly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    All depends on the state of the grease in your camera and lens though.
    If it is old, and stiff, it will cause problems. Cameras and lenses that have been CLA-ed recently will be fine.

The first thing you will notice of a cold related problem is the shutter becoming a bit slower, i.e. shutterspeeds longer.

One other thing, though, is the film itself. It can become dry and brittle. So wind on slowly.
    Thanks for your advices!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    how does temperature actually affect the response of the film to light?
    does it affect it? or is that neglectable?

mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten m View Post
    how does temperature actually affect the response of the film to light?
    does it affect it? or is that neglectable?

mm
    well, film is rated at 20 C (i think), and i have shoot film in the alps during both winter ans summer season and (personal) first i exposed a bit more (1-2 stop) when it was cold (0/-10/-15/-25 C) but i have stopped doing that, the difference is so little that you dont have to think about it.

I am 100% sure that someone else will say the opposite

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin