Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,652   Posts: 1,623,593   Online: 808

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad 500 cm and cold weather

Hi.
    I'm new with a Hasselblad equipment (just today i've got my first Hassy) and i have a couple of questions. for the first: how does it feels himself at low temperatures? I'm going to travel to the North of Russia for a week and i'd like to make some pictures with my new camera. Hope it will not be too cold, but i'm preparing for temperatures up to -20 C

Shooter
    Medium Format
    it went all the way up to the moon, remember?

mm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten m View Post
    it went all the way up to the moon, remember?

mm
    Sorry. I didn't understood your answer

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the camera is not to old and in good condition, temperatures down to - 10 C ( 14 F ) should not cause any problem according to my own experience. Older equipment where grease and dirt has started to acumulate may cause problems. If you want to test your own camera, put it in the freezer over night and when you take it out, directly test all the shutterspeeds before it is warming up. Especially the longer speeds ( 1/15 th of a second and longer ) are sensitive. If the shutter sounds normal then it is probably OK. Just beware that when you have taken the camera out of the freezer condense will start to form on it. After testing, let it rest an hour or two and it will be OK. A good rule of thumb is that the camera can stand much colder weather than your fingers. I have used my own Hasselblads for winter photography for more than thirty years and if you treat them well they will serve you well.
    Good luck !

Karl-Gustaf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hallo,

Depending upon which model you have, will be the answer!

The 500 series are all mechanical (no electrics) so no problems with batteries going off due to the cold.
    The 500EL (motorized 500 series) rely on batteries for film advance, cold weather performance will depend on the type of batteries - ni-cad, alkaline etc.
    I have been using a 2000 series that needs a 6 volt battery to fire the shutter in the U.K. over the last few weeks where the temps have been between 0 to -10, and it worked fine.

I think that it will be the associated issues rather than the camera that may be troublesome, e.g. I accidentaly breathed on a filter when out - wouldn't clear in the cold! Film getting fragile, wet hands freezing to cold metal etc!! But being from the Ukraine you will be much more used to operating in the cold than we are!!!

I would put money on the Hass working, more likely than a consumer grade digital. Have fun!

Sim2.
    P.S. There are other on the site who have much more experience of 'blads and working in the extreme cold - hopefully they will "chip-in."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...I've taken my Hasselblad 500CM shooting in Edmonton for 3 winters. The average temperature during winter is around -17 (between -5 and -35 all winter). I've NEVER had an issue, but my Hasselblad was also CLA'd 4 years ago with some replaced parts, so the grease and everything might be slicker than yours. Either way, I have only heard of problems when it's ridiculously cold (-40) on other Hasselblad bodies that require batteries. My thoughts are that if it's cold enough to effect your Hasselblad, it's probably too cold to be out shooting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would get it cleaned and regreased, otherwise you may have problems with it (or any camera) locking up. Other than that, I think it will work great.

Enjoy it - it's a great camera!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by romunas View Post
    Sorry. I didn't understood your answer
    NASA used Hasselblad cameras to photograph the astronauts on the moon. They were specially modified so the astronauts could operate them while wearing their thick spacesuit gloves. The moon is very cold, which is why the other poster said your Hasselblad would be ok in Russia's winters, but I think the Hasselblads used on the moon had special lubricants in them to work in very cold conditions.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not just for space gloves, the special NASA Hasselblads were also modified for lubrication which no earth-bound Hasselblad has had done to it to my knowledge. But still, mechanical cameras should be OK generally to -20C but things can lock up and break below that. A CLA using special low temperature greases could help.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh! Thanks to all for answers! So i see that my Hassy can make shots on cold weather without serious problems if the temperature will not be too low. That's really great!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin