Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,043   Online: 782

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RZ67 Pro II worth the extra cost (compared to RZ67)

Hi,

I am sure this has been discussed before. After research, I also have learned that the following are the advantages of the RZ67 Pro II vs RZ67:
    - Fine focus knob
    - Half-step shutter speed (with AE Prism)
    - Digital Back

My question is if I can get an RZ67 body for $199 and similar condition RZ67 Pro II for $399 (about double), is it worth the extra cost to get the Pro II?
    Please point out other advantages that I might have missed.

Thanks in advance

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use an RZ and see no real reason to upgrade. Half stops on the shutter might be nice but all of my lenses allow half stop adjustment so it is kinda moot. When focusing with the waist-finder, I find the pop-up magnifier more than sufficient for accurate focusing, unless you are doing some extreme macro shots; otherwise, your depth of field on all RZ lenses is sufficient to make up for minor focusing errors. As for a digital back, $10k for a cheap back is a lot of 120 rolls (about 2000-3000 by my quick calculations). If your an amateur, stick with what is cheaper; if your a professional, are you really going to spend $10k to see a 10% improvement over a high end SLR?
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bwidjaja View Post
    - Half-step shutter speed (with AE Prism)
    This feature doesn't require AE prism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The DM56 back is not 10% better than a "full frame" DSLR, it has more than double the area at 36x56mm. It is still small compared to the 56x69.5 negatives you get with proper film but at 56MP for those with money and storage space to burn I'd say it is a step up from a 22MP 24x36mm DSLR.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Guys, please take the digital talk elsewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neither of us are recommending it, just talking about camera capabilities. No way a digital back is going on my Mamiya...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for the response. So far i do not see a strong reason of spending the extra money for the Pro II.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Agreed

There's no real reason to get the II vs. the regular RZ67.

You can get half-stop shutter speeds (actually stepless I think in AE) by using the AE prism on the RZ Pro (I), no problem. I do that myself.

Condition is everything of course so try to get a nice one (RZ) as there are of course a lot of mechanical parts to them and they have been around a while by now (some of the early ones at least).

There's some advantages to the Pro I, for example it can use the PD prism (metering prism) whereas the II can't as far as I know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't there an added interlock in RZ-II for dark-slide that doesn't exist on plain RZ? I have been researching RZ as well so this thread is timely.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think there are any differences in the interlocks between Pro II and Pro I. The darkslide interlocks are in the back, not the body. The body (Pro I) knows if the darkslide is inserted and won't fire the shutter.

-Ed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin