Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,648   Online: 684

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bronica GS-1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post

Using a GS-1 on a tripod is no problem as long as you use the prism finder. The waist level finder is useless if you want to take shots in portrait mode.
    The trick is to stand to the side and look down at a small mirror held at an angle so you can see the focusing screen. The image will be right side up and unreversed.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I owned a GS-1 for years, and tried a RB67 before.

Using an RB67 handheld means in the first line, you have to carry it to the place where you want to use it. If you are always in a studio or if you live in your car and never walk, or if you have an assistant, it's a great camera, especially for macro shots I myself hated it because it is simply too big and too heavy.
    Oh come on, it isn't that heavy! I hand hold mine all the time, often with a 35mm SLR around my neck and a backpack full of bodies and lenses on my back. No pack animal or entourage of assistants is required, it weighs like 6-7 lbs. You guys act like it weighs 50 lbs.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs View Post
    I only know a 110 mm Macro lens for the GS 1 did I miss something?

Cheers Armin
    Yes, sorry, you are right.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Oh come on, it isn't that heavy! I hand hold mine all the time, often with a 35mm SLR around my neck and a backpack full of bodies and lenses on my back. No pack animal or entourage of assistants is required, it weighs like 6-7 lbs. You guys act like it weighs 50 lbs.
    Depends on how much one can carry. I like to travel lightweight.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on how much one can carry. I like to travel lightweight.
    I sometimes like to travel with a camera that is small and lightweight too but in that case I'll take a 126 Instamatic which fits in my pocket. If I'm going to carry a medium format SLR then a 4lb GS-1 or 6lb RB67 doesn't really make much of a difference.

Anyways, I didn't want to derail the thread, just dispell the myth that the RB67 weights that much more than a GS-1.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I finally found a 6x6 back from KEH after a year of waiting. Hopefully it's in as good of shape as they claim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mirror usage

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    The trick is to stand to the side and look down at a small mirror held at an angle so you can see the focusing screen. The image will be right side up and unreversed.
    This is a cool idea: I love using the WLF, except on high shots where I cannot reach it and get the shot. I've held the cam upside down but very unweildy. I'll be putting a mirror in my bag and see if I can get high shots that way without going to a prism. Thanks!
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad none of the makers ever thought to make a WLF that could take a mirror for this purpose. I figured it out after I got my ETR-Si but never heard anyone else talk about it. I found a small makeup mirror in the cosmetics section of a drug store. It has its own vinyl pouch and is just the right size-a little bigger than the screen.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another usable trick is to raise the camera to eye height (using a tripod) and stand to the side. The image is upside-down, but if you are used to a view camera, that shouldn't bother you a bit!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The prism on my RB67 weighs 880g, yes nearly 2lbs. What does the GS-1 prism weigh? I really need to find a WLF for mine, some days I 'view naked' using just the focus screen when I need to take a low shot...

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin