Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,387   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bronica GS-1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bronica GS-1

I currently have a Bronnica SQ system and I've been very pleased with the quality of the gear. I've looked at the GS-1 out of curiosity and I've seen I could very nearly trade in my SQ system for a GS-1. I like the 6x6 negative, but I'd also like to try working with the 6x7. I do most of my work outdoors and without people, so the lack of compatibility with a flash system is alright by me. The GS-1 does have a 6x6 back, so I'm wondering if there is any reason not to trade in?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a GS-1, and no reason to be concerned that I can think of. Perhaps it's a little bigger/heavier? AFAIK, the GS-1 works with flash, even can do TTL with right setup- I've never used it with flash.

It's a nice system, with great lenses, and quite reasonable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The GS-1 is fabulous. Of the 6x7 SLRs, it's about the most compact and with the Speed Grip and AE Prism it handles like a big 35mm. The only thing I really dislike is the MFD, so I bought the 36mm extension tube for getting up close. The 6x6 back is nearly impossible to find, but there are enough 6x4.5 backs that they're relatively easy to fine.
    Last edited by Tony-S; 12-20-2010 at 07:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope this is not considered a hijacking of a thread....

I've been considering GS-1 as well. Only thing that concerns me is that unlike RZ or RB (Mamiya), the back does not rotate. Does this cause discomfort in everyday usage?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a tripod it becomes a bit unwieldy, but hand-held it's not so bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rotating back on the Mamiya 6x7 is nice for sure... Bellows provides a good MFD even without extension tubes though they're available too. Cheap kits these days as well, hard to believe they're thousands of $$$ new.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    On a tripod it becomes a bit unwieldy, but hand-held it's not so bad.
    Also there's that fancy thing Bronica made, which allows a tripod-mounted camera to turn on its side but keep the lens on centerline. Can't remember what it's called...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every time a thread like this comes up, I find myself espousing the merits of the GS-1 without the speed grip and prism. My system came with both, but I think that I enjoyed it even more when I swapped the fancy bits for an old-fashioned WLF. It really is a wonderful system, with or without the fancy bits. The Bronica lenses are oustanding. I really would reccommend picking up a second (or third) back. The only problem I ever experienced with my system was in Sao Paulo Brazil, with no hope of an emergency CLA, kicking myself all along for trusting my system so implicitly...

Cheers
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Handy though those finders and winders are, without them my 645 is really much lighter and less bulky. I find for verticals a small rectangular pocket mirror allows me to compose without contortions.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a shot with the GS-1 and 200mm lens on Portra 160 VC. Probably should have used NC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kid-1.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin