Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 742

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format

GSW690III vs. GW690III

I have both and I love them, the lenses are equally good. If I had to choose I would go with the 90mm, but it would be tough. The problem with the mamiyas for me is that they are not 6x9. Plus if I don't have to stop and swap lenses I'm always happier. I wonder what the op chose after all ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Holy thread resurrection! I have both cameras, but I opted to get the older II series as I liked the look better, the only semi-important trade off was the press to release spools. Plus it was a great deal cheaper. I slapped on two hotshoe bubble levels, a pair of eyecups, and optech weight reducing straps. The cameras are tough, I banged around the gw690 for a good month straight over the summer on vacation, shot every day with it putting a good 100+ rolls through it. The negatives you get are just stunning. Both focal lengths are great, and I would recommend to get either one, or both ideally.

Enjoy your camera! and be prepared to burn though film =]
    I shot two rolls and hiked 6 miles today. Carried a backpack with the Fuji and my Contax 35mm, the Contax never came out. I find the camera comfortable. After I won the eBay auction I found lots of forum post saying it was a "clown camera" and too heavy. I carry a Nikon D3s with 4 lenses, a flash, sometimes more flashes and lightstands, every day at work. I'm used to shooting a camera that is heavier than this. It was a great afternoon being out in the woods with nothing electronic other than my light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format

GSW690III vs. GW690III

Only clowns own clown cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Only clowns own clown cameras.
    Well I do have a "35mm P&S" on my mantle next to several other cameras that is a squirt gun.

Processed my first two rolls. First time using Rollei R80s and the first one is over-developed, but everything is spaced evenly and they look tack sharp so I'm happy. Will get a roll of portra back from lab tomorrow and see again.

Shooter
    Large Format

GW690iii more useful than GSW690iii

I have both cameras and have to agree that the 90/3.5 is more useful even for landscape use. With the 6x9 format you've got lot's of negative to work with. I don't find these camera's particularly heavy given the alternatives for a negative that size (Large Format view camera with a roll back). Having said all of that - I've also recently bought the GF670 and GF670w - basically modern versions of the GW series with a built in light meter and the ability to do 6x6 or 6x7. They are even better! Lighter, more 'pocketable', and easier to use with the built in metering. Smaller neg though...but my new 4x5 view camera will pick up the slack on that front (especially with a 6x12 back)!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ended up with a Mamiya 23 Press camera and two lenses (90mm and 150mm) that was a gimme. The MoFo weighs a ton, that's for sure. But it produces superb images.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin