Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,035   Online: 983

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes. All the old press cameras from the era of flash bulbs used an electrical solenoid with a variable delay to fire the shutter. The leaf shutter was fired only after the bulb ramped up in brightness, but this delay can also be adjusted out of most of them. They're dead simple and easily found.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a homemade setup using an air cylinder to drive a cable release. I tried the solenoid approach, but found that for the larger (and older) LF shutters, the travel required is longer than a cheap solenoid will handle without a mechanical linkage.

I think that for the smaller shutters a solenoid would work just fine. The easy way is to use a large-ish capacitor to supply the peak current, with a small-ish battery to recharge the cap. As it happens, the force exerted by a solenoid increases towards the end of the stroke, which is just what you would want. McMaster-Carr has a good selection of both 12 and 24 volt solenoids, and they also have industrial time delay relays (more expensive but less fiddly than a 555 circuit) that work well for things like this.

The servo idea sounds good, although I don't have any experience along those lines.

Using a cable release between the drive mechanism and shutter simplifies the mechanics, and also provides some "give" to make damaging the shutter less likely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Besides searching the various parts archives of the RC hobby world, try the world of animatronics too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here is an oddity for your amusement. There is a liquid crystal shutter that you can buy. Never tried one but it might work for photography.

http://www.liquidcrystaltechnologies...CDShutters.htm
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin