Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,219   Online: 875
      
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56
  1. #41

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Valley Stream, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post
    Trust me I'm not a liar. MY hasselblad jammed because I had the dark slide in in the middle of a hike around huang shan. Furthermore, MY hasselblad seemed to have no other issues. It made very nice images.

    Mine absolutely will not fire with the darkslide in place.
    Frank Schifano

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    south central Missouri
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,926
    Images
    9
    He later added

    "I had to press pretty hard on the shutter button to get it jam"

    I guessing that's when the damage occurred.

  3. #43
    greybeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    377
    Images
    6
    The sports car analogy isn't the right one though. Sports cars are tuned for performance, and to achieve more of that, reliabilty has to give.

    The next time I'm near a BMW dealership, I'll try to remember to show them this statement and see if they agree

    But this jam thingy...
    If it happens, it really is down to either one of two things: using equipment that is out of spec, or user error.


    Which sort of suggests that the engineering does not accommodate routine use without periodic (and expensive) maintenance, or that the user interface is overly demanding. I suppose that you could say that once a spring has broken, the camera is "out of spec" and should not be expected to perform properly, but I can't recall seeing that in Hasselblad's literature anywhere

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    The sports car analogy isn't the right one though. Sports cars are tuned for performance, and to achieve more of that, reliabilty has to give.

    The next time I'm near a BMW dealership, I'll try to remember to show them this statement and see if they agree
    I'm sure they will.


    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    But this jam thingy...
    If it happens, it really is down to either one of two things: using equipment that is out of spec, or user error.


    Which sort of suggests that the engineering does not accommodate routine use without periodic (and expensive) maintenance, or that the user interface is overly demanding. [...]
    No, it most certainly does not.
    An assumption that it will need servicing every month or so to keep the machine working, and that user errors are anywhere near as common as these nonsensical reports this thread revolves around might suggest does.
    So don't assume such silly things.



    Have you tried to reset the 201 yet?

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    He later added

    "I had to press pretty hard on the shutter button to get it jam"

    I guessing that's when the damage occurred.
    I didn't hit it with a sledgehammer. I was using a remote release so it cannot be that hard.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    122
    On second thought, after reading all this, maybe I'm trying to get above my raisin' here. Maybe I'll stick with my simple, dead reliable old RB67, which is admittedly a little larger and heavier--but temperamental and delicate it's not. Like a Smith & Wesson revolver, it works every time I pull the trigger. If it doesn't, replacement bodies are available all over the planet for $100. Haven't seen many 500C/M replacement bodies around for $100, and I doubt that VH-trained people would do even the simplest little repair for chump change like that.

  7. #47
    Jeff Bannow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,755
    Images
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by picker77 View Post
    On second thought, after reading all this, maybe I'm trying to get above my raisin' here. Maybe I'll stick with my simple, dead reliable old RB67, which is admittedly a little larger and heavier--but temperamental and delicate it's not. Like a Smith & Wesson revolver, it works every time I pull the trigger. If it doesn't, replacement bodies are available all over the planet for $100. Haven't seen many 500C/M replacement bodies around for $100, and I doubt that VH-trained people would do even the simplest little repair for chump change like that.
    The lab at school had lots of problems with the RB67 series, so they aren't perfect either. I had a RZ67 lock up on me actually.

    We got our backup Hasselblad body for $120, and the repair man I use (I can give you his info if you want) is very reasonable. C series lenses can be had for around $200-300.

    I don't think you're going to have any issues with a Hassy, and it is a LOT lighter than the RB.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    south central Missouri
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,926
    Images
    9
    I've also had a RB67 Pro S for a few years and it wasn't anymore, or less, reliable than my Hassy's. However, besides being as big as a boat anchor I couldn't get nearly as nice of prints from it even with the larger negative. So off to Ebay it went.

  9. #49
    Jeff Bannow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,755
    Images
    41
    There's actually a 500C on Large Format Photo forum for $120 right now, with a waistlevel finder.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    269
    That is a great deal. You'd definitely love a Hasselblad, waist level finder and a 80mm lens. Check the light seals in the back... I ruined several rolls of film because of bad seals too

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin