Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,338   Online: 972

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

wide angle for Mamiya 645

Hello,

I want to add a wide angle lens to my Mamiya 645 setup. First I thought about a 45mm to be added to my 80/150/300mm lineup but now I got a very good chance to go for a nearly new and still cheap 55N. What would you think? Is the 55 worth to go for? With the Mamiya I'm mainly doing nature (landscapes) and a little bit of reportage (street). Maybe I could add a wider 45 or even 35 later...

Do you have experience about the optical qualities of these lenses at the wide end od the 645 lineup?

Thanks a lot

PHILIP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found the 55mm To be an excellent performer and comparable in quality to the 80mm but it isn't very wide. The 35mm is extremely wide but I was always disappointed in the sharpness which affected the whole image. Don't get me wrong, it was a good lens but somehow lacked that bite the other lenses delivered.
    The 45mm was a good compromise, decent field of view and good sharpness (but still behind the 55mm).

All my lenses were the latest models and I know people have said the earlier wide angles could be a bit poorer in some respects. Much as I loved the 55mm I'd go for the 45/80/150 more often than not.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 55mm lens which I suppose is the 35mm equivalent of a 35mm lens. The 35mm is VERY wide and you might find less use for it than the 45mm and 55mm lenses.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I had a M645 Pro that was stolen along with 5 lenses. By far my most used lens and most versatile was the 50/4.0 PC (perspective control) lens. For landscape, ruins and general WA uses, I don't think it has a peer.

Maybe F4.0 is slow, but my camera was usually on a tripod so it didn't matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 45mm permanently on my M645 for my Landscape work and am happy with the quality I get. I too had the opportunity to go for a 55mm when I started looking for an additional lens and I was steered towards the 45mm rather than the 55mm from my local camera club guys, for the additional field and image quality.

Good Luck
    From a Darkroom somewhere in the Midlands

www.kdharrison.co.uk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    so if I understand you right: The 55N is a very good lens (compact and very sharp) but maybe too long? I think I will try. If it is too long I can get a 45 or 35 an either keep the 55 if financially possible or sell it without loosing money as I can get it for a good price right now (80€ in best condition still with warranty).

PHILIP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I opted for a 55mm. I have 55mm, 80mm and 150mm. For my own work, I stopped going wider and wider. Seems 55 is a sweet spot for me. (35mm equivalent on 35mm camera)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

How important is the weight?
    My 80mm (~250g) plus 45mm CS (~510g) add up to about 760g
    If trekking they may be replaced by just the 55mm , about 330g
    The 645 Super body +AE prism +strap is about 1250g.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have 35, 45, 50 PC and 55 lenses in my Mamiya kit. Although the 55 is my least used lens, it is excellent for photographing groups of people and is a good nature photography lens when you don't need something wider. The 45 is a great general use wide angle. I use the 35 for shooting interiors and wide panoramic landscapes (in which I crop the top and bottom of the negatives) but requires some care in making sure that everything is lined up correctly.

By far my most used wide angle is the 50mm PC. I have to agree with jacarape that this is one of the gems of the 645 system. For me it is a tripod-only lens that is a little tricky to use in that you need to manually stop it down before making an exposure, but it is fantastic for architectural shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FWIW the 45mm is my most used lens. Very nice lens sharp edge to edge f/2.8 is fast enough since I shoot stopped down all the time. I have owned 2 of them one that takes 77mm filters and now the one that takes 67mm filters. The one that takes 67mm filters seems to be a little sharper in the far corners, but a push in the center. This is not to say the lens that takes 77mm filters is bad because it's not. But in the end it is what do you like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin