Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,465   Online: 1057

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ben,

At least you kept out my Three Stooges & Twilight Zone stuff in your quote! HA! And Smiles!

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Have a wonderful 2011.

Your Pal Bill
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Berlibee View Post
    Hello,

I need your help please. For this moment I'm using Canon 5D Mark II and I'm
    thinking how can I improve tech. quality of my images. I'm not ready to buy
    a Hasselblad H4D ... Can you please tell me, can I get better quality of images
    with a Hasselblad 503cx + NIKON 9000* and if yes, what I will receive as advantages
    with this setup* compared to my current one? It will be very nice If some one
    can show me full-res scans from the same setup* that I can see what I can
    get with it, thank you.

This is a crop from my camera to show what I have now (retouched sure):
    http://www.studioxil.com/Example_Canon_5D_MII.jpg

Cheers!
    Sure, you can get much improved level of overall detail and tonal information, whether you scan or print from medium or large format negs or slides. Just bear in mind that either of these workflows (scan or optical print) does require some investment on your part to learn how to get optimal results.

You can earn more about the scanning workflow at hybridphoto, APUG's sister site. APUG is more devoted to the purely traditional workflows.

How much info can you get from medium format? Well, here is crop from a drum scan from a 6x7 slide. Note: this is by no means a full res scan, and there was no sharpening applied, it is a straight drum scan...

http://keithwilliamsphoto.net/mothdrumcrop.jpg

And that is a crop from this:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=16571

The gear was an rb67 with a 127mm lens, shot on velvia 100. You'd get similar performance on a hassie or just about any other half decent MF system. Assuming you're doing everything you can to get the most out of the system.

I don't remember the megapixel equivalent of this slide scan, I think it was something like 80 mp for the whole 6x7 slide.

P.S. Steer clear of digital to analogue comparisons, and you will find that this site is a wonderful resource frequented by some amazing photographers.
    Last edited by keithwms; 01-01-2011 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    Ben,

At least you kept out my Three Stooges & Twilight Zone stuff in your quote! HA! And Smiles!

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Have a wonderful 2011.

Your Pal Bill
    A very happy New Year Bill, I found that spending money on my photographic education by reading and attending teach ins, courses and talking to other photographers did much more for the quality of my work than spending large amounts of money upgrading my equipment to take the same mediocre pictures with better quality equipment, to my mind a camera is like a musical instrument the quality of the results is dependant on the skill and feeling of the player.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think you should absolutely get a nikon 9000.
    The 'blad plus this will blow away any digital format available in the next decade.
    People will be amazed when they walk up to a print of a group and can count each persons nose hairs.
    That is the mark of a true professional.
    But make sure to buy the latest macro lens directly from Hasselblad. You will need it for proper close-ups like the one you posted as an example.
    Dont buy a used lens as it will probably be out of alignment.
    Then shoot at least 100 rolls of film and put in an order for another 1000 rolls in a month. Again, be sure to buy fresh new film no expired or frozen film. Expect this to continue for the next 10 years because you will get many more paid shoots this way. All those digital newbs will be left in the dust.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon 5D.. Nikon 9000... Image sharpening..... Hi res scans...???
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very interesting info, thank you. I will absolutely read all at APUG and trying to find more info about.
    For this moment I have only an used kit 503CX + Planar 80 2.8 CF T*, I will try to shoot some rolls and
    see what a photo-lab can do with it before buying a scanner. The example that I posted is only a crop,
    I'm not shooting close-ups like this, I think 80mm will be fine for me for first time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Define quality, there are so many ways, most of them subjective. Those that can be measured, mostly boring. Trust your eyes, then. If you're not content with your own work (aesthetically *first*, then technically), how should others be?
    And if you want to get a Nikon 9000 scanner, be quick about it, they're discontinued.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm content with my works, just wanna move forward in my equipment.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want deeper Depth of field close the aperture a little more.

If you want higher resolution scans use a lab that makes drum scans.

If you are unhappy with your current equipment go out and try a few cameras, borrow, rent, fondle them in a camera shop, whatever it takes to find what works for you. The last thing you want to do is buy a camera based on a recommendation only to find out you don't like using it because you hate the layout of the controls, or because it is harder than you like to change a setting. That happened to me and it was lousy because it was a great camera that produced great results if I was willing to fight it.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    if you value digital output pretty much then, yes, you better stretch for some good scanner like Nikon 9000. this is what I squeezed yesterday from a 6x6 scan done with cheap canon cs8800f scanner (shot on Orwo NP15 developed in pyrocat hd, with Bronica SQ-A and 80/2.8PS lens) - I don't really think my cheap-o scanner squeezed everything that lens gave on that negative so I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get better results with some more serious scanner. getting the best when shooting film involves much more steps than camera>scanner routine, and each of those steps impact quality very much.
    cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin