Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,971   Online: 921

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    throwing equipment at a problem never fixes the problem, in this case "soft" images. The 5dMII can easily beat MF film in terms of pure detail in most circumstances with most ECONOMICAL scanners. Use a prime lens stopped down between 5.6 and 11, use proper support or high powered strobes, focus on proper WB, use a good lightmeter or bracket and dont clip at all and edit in 16bit , manage your colour space.
    All these things and more can help the quality of your files, i would start with any of those, specifically the lens, support routes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You're asking the same question I asked six months ago: "What will analog MF cameras and a reasonably priced scanner offer compared to a DSLR".
    The link below may aid you in getting an answer to that question, but keep in mind that a Nikon 9000 will deliver even better results than this, as this scan was done on an Epson V750, and not much was done to get the most out of the velvia slide.
    Also the image is cropped and downsized to 25%, but you will at least get an impression of the capabilities of analog MF and scanning.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/foru...tml?1294066895

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't understand me wrong please. I know how to use a camera and how to get good quality from MII. This is more
    a question about MF. But I understand you and I will try MF and compare them in studio this will be more easy
    I think. Thank you very much for all your answers that helps a lot.

Shooter
    35mm
    In my humble opinion, the "problem", if one there is, with the crop is that the point of maximum sharpness (the focus) is on the nostril, and given the shallow DOF, the eye falls slightly out of focus. If the focus had been exactly on the eye, the slight out-of-focus of the rest of the face would have probably been welcome.

If this picture was made with tripod, static subject, accurate focusing, and if focus was made on the eye, I would have the camera checked for the correct alignment of the focusing screen.

If this was made with a handheld camera, a closer aperture would have helped in having your chosen point of focus in focus, but you might have ended with "too much focus" also on the rest of the face, which maybe was not desired.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in total agreement with Mr. Clark. Immerse yourself in photography, eat sleep, and breathe it. And I enjoyed the daylights outta the Stooges and Twilight Zone, only wished I'd had two tv sets in the living room to watch them at the same time! NUK NUK NUK
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin