Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,058   Online: 879

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How can I improve quality?

Hello,

I need your help please. For this moment I'm using Canon 5D Mark II and I'm
    thinking how can I improve tech. quality of my images. I'm not ready to buy
    a Hasselblad H4D ... Can you please tell me, can I get better quality of images
    with a Hasselblad 503cx + NIKON 9000* and if yes, what I will receive as advantages
    with this setup* compared to my current one? It will be very nice If some one
    can show me full-res scans from the same setup* that I can see what I can
    get with it, thank you.

This is a crop from my camera to show what I have now (retouched sure):
    http://www.studioxil.com/Example_Canon_5D_MII.jpg

Cheers!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think that stopping the lens down a bit can really improve sharpness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i am not familiar with any of the cameras you want to compare,
    perhaps you can rent cameras from a pro-shop or borrow from a friend
    and see what the differences are for yourself. it is hard to
    suggest one lens or camera is sharper or works better than another
    when working methods are different than yours.
    for example, i could rant and rave about films and lenses
    processing and printing methods that work great for me,
    i could tell you how to process a fine grain high resolution film
    to make prints with it that sharp, lush and grainy and textured like a canvas-painting
    but in the end, it doesn't matter because your working methods
    are different than mine ...

if you have a pro shop near you, i am sure they will be happy to rent
    you equipment, and it will be cheap compared to buying it
    and realizing it isn't what you had hoped for ..

all the best for the new year
    - john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, thanks.
    I have already bought 503CX, any way I will work with it, but what I need
    it to have good digital format at the end, that's why I'm asking about NIKON 9000.
    Trying to understand what I will have new and different from my current setup with
    this one.

Considering that this is a film-based photography website, I think you're asking the wrong question. I'm sure people here can help you, but it's not what the site is about.

Your example picture certainly is well-lit and composed. If you want it sharper, you're going to have to stop the lens down a bit more. The softness comes from shallow depth of field.

I own a 503cx and 3 lenses. It's an excellent system that suits my needs. If you can't make a good, sharp picture with yours, you need to look at how you're using it. Start with a tripod and expose your pictures with the mirror locked up, or at least use enough power in your flash setup to allow your to hand-hold at a high shutter speed.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use both methods for capture. When I first started with digital in 2004, I would take a Hasselblad along, use two tripods, when making formals, as I didn't trust digital capture. To me, it doesn't make any difference anymore which method of capture I use, the results are the same.

My recommendation is to find someone who could be your mentor, coach and friend. Even in pro sports there are coaches. Take classes on photography you want to do better at.

Get to museums and study what the masters have done relative to lighting, posing & composition. Go to the library and check out books on artists that see the world as well as those who differ from your vision. Join camera clubs and attend and participate. Watch movies and see how they use lighting, composition, costumes, choreography. I'm always doing this. Sometimes my wife will say, "quit doing this! Watch the movie! You sound just like Monte!" Monte Zucker was my friend, mentor and coach.

I see so much on equipment but there is so much more to photography than that.

Welcome to APUG. Ya, some are sensitive on the digital topic but what the heck.

My motto: "Beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder!" I first heard that expression from Dean Collins.

Enjoy your time here on APUG!
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Three Stooges marathon on AMC.

Nuk, Nuk, Nuk!

Twilight Zone Marathon on Sci Fi.

Wonderful!

Curly said, "tried thinkin' once but nothin' happened!"
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the best ways I've found to improve quality, no matter what camera one shoots, is to use a tripod and cable release. Do you?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 503CW I would suspect can do equally as well or possibly better than the 5D you presently have with careful scanning and post processing.

I had found your original uncropped image on your site and you note you intentionally only stopped down to f/4 to have a somewhat shallow DOF. In the post processing of your 5D images are you sharpening the image? Sharpening can make a world of difference.

This is a sample from a Canon 5D mk1 shot at f/2. Composed a bit differently, but never the less sharp. Compare yours viewed at 100%...
    http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/eos5d...sample_1e.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    I use both methods for capture. When I first started with digital in 2004, I would take a Hasselblad along, use two tripods, when making formals, as I didn't trust digital capture. To me, it doesn't make any difference anymore which method of capture I use, the results are the same.

My recommendation is to find someone who could be your mentor, coach and friend. Even in pro sports there are coaches. Take classes on photography you want to do better at.

Get to museums and study what the masters have done relative to lighting, posing & composition. Go to the library and check out books on artists that see the world as well as those who differ from your vision. Join camera clubs and attend and participate. Watch movies and see how they use lighting, composition, costumes, choreography. I'm always doing this. Sometimes my wife will say, "quit doing this! Watch the movie! You sound just like Monte!" Monte Zucker was my friend, mentor and coach.

I see so much on equipment but there is so much more to photography than that.

Welcome to APUG. Ya, some are sensitive on the digital topic but what the heck.

My motto: "Beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder!" I first heard that expression from Dean Collins.

Enjoy your time here on APUG!
    I found out many years ago to my cost that excellence in photography isn't a problem that can be solved by throwing money at, and I would agree with Mr Clark.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin