Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,093   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RZ67, basic questions

I just recieved my RZ67 ProII camera that i ordered from ebay. I have some very basic questions and im sorry if they sound stupid.

1. Why does the RZ67 take an battery? Mine came with a 120 back and a wasitlevel viewfinder. I don't really see why there might be a need for a battery. What part of the camera uses the battery and what for exactly? I was able to test out the shutter release and play with the camera without the battery on just wondering what its used for.

2. I seem to have difficulty with Release Button Collar and changing it. Every time i change it from orange dot to red it just doesnt change smoothly and i think its damaging the button or something. Is there a trick to this? And what is the difference between white and red dots?

3. What are the RBL and AEF options for?

I would appreciate any other tips you guys have might have for me with this new camera. I used a Mamiya C330 for 2 years and loved it.

By the way its nice knowing all of you and glad to be part of this great community. Just a little information about me. I'm 21 from Toronto and im in love with analog photography. My Canon D7 is in my closet taking dust since i was introduced to medium format photography. I have a little website if anyone wants to see some of the pictures i took.

www.viiphotography.com

Happy near yea y'all

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here’s the manual for the original model. Most of it is the same for the newer pro II.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/...a_rz67_pro.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the need for the battery arises from the electronically-time shutters on the RZ, even if you are not using an auto-exposure prism. I think there is one shutter speed which works without the battery—1/400, I think.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. in-lens shutter is electronically controled, since need for battery.
    Also film back electronically transmit film speed to the body.

3. RBL-position when using old Mamiya RB67 lenses
    AEF - position when using Auto Exposure prism Finder

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for replying back everyone, i went over the manual and got a very good understanding of the camera features

just one quick question which i wasn't able to understand from the manual.

there is a metal screen thing that can be pulled out between the back and the body. Its like this rectangular metal plate. What is that plate used for and what does it do?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amirvii View Post
    thanks for replying back everyone, i went over the manual and got a very good understanding of the camera features

just one quick question which i wasn't able to understand from the manual.

there is a metal screen thing that can be pulled out between the back and the body. Its like this rectangular metal plate. What is that plate used for and what does it do?
    The metal plate is called the dark slide and prevents light from exposing the film when the back is removed from the camera. It must be removed to make an exposure. The camera would actually prevent you from making an exposure when the slide is in place. The back cannot be removed unless the dark slide is in place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks dande

one last question, i purchased a battery for my camera (energizer A544 alkaline). when i put the battery on is there any indication that shows the battery is working and how do i ever find out when the battery runs out?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Learn about the dark slide.

Amirlvii: I don't own a RZ but I do have a RB. The thing dande said about the back not being able to be removed might be when there is film in it. Otherwise I think you probably can take it off with the dark slide in. The other thing is to learn a little about the dark slide. On the RB and probably so on the RZ, you can pull it out a little bit and click the shutter. You might think you have taken a picture, but since the dark slide was there, you didn't. This can be useful for some things, but it can make you think you took a picture when you didn't. On the other hand, if the dark slide is in the camera, you might not be able to click the shutter. (When I say might I'm guessing because the RZ might be different from the RB.) This might make you think the camera is not working. Again it is best to check with others that know the RZ. (Actually, I don't even know the RB that good either.) Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks dande

one last question, i purchased a battery for my camera (energizer A544 alkaline). when i put the battery on is there any indication that shows the battery is working and how do i ever find out when the battery runs out?
    Look in the instruction manual for the page about "LED Monitor Lamp and Electronic Warning Sounds" (pages 19 - 20 in the downloaded version).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks dande

Just one quick note here - my ProIID manual is not clear. First put the dark slide into the back so you can't make an exposure then turn the selector lever around shutter button to align the white square and circle. When you press the shutter button there is a square led in the center of the lower edge of the finder which glows solid if battery is fully charged and blinks if battery is getting low.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin