Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,449   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Multi Format

Difference in Mamiya M645 AE Prism Finders - anyone know?

Does anybody know the difference between Mamiya M645 AE Prism finder N (introduced with 645 Super) and M645 AE Prism Finder (introduced with Pro)??

According to Mamiya's website, N type is usable with Pro and above as well as Super. The former has a squarish appearance and the latter has rounded corners. Other than that, they look identical.

I am using N type finder with Pro body and it works just fine. Am I missing any new feature intordued in the later model??
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I can tell from what I have seen and read, the answer is no (you aren't missing any features).

My experience has been that the AE Prism finder N works identically with the Super and Pro bodies I have.

I am not sure, however, that the newer AE finder is compatible with the older, Super body. I am sure that the AE finder FK402 (the one with the adjustable Diopter) is not compatible with the Super body.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the one without a prism but with a mirror instead, right? (FK402)

It's so weird though... KEH prices N type 1/2 of ones introduced with Pro model. Maybe it has something to do with leaf shutter interface?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just looked it up, the N has spot and center average, and the newer AE prism has Matrix and spot.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    argh.... Matrix metering...! (then I pass out)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure of the "Matrix" metering.

The following is what the manual for the "Pro" says about the AE Prism Finder FE401:

The AE Prism Finder FE401
    The Mamiya AE (Automatic Exposure) Prism Finder FE401 pentaprism guarantees a true, upright image and features built-in electronic shutter control which, ensures aperture-priority, TTL automatic exposure metering while in the A or AEL mode.
    < 3-Way Metering System>
    The FE401 comes with three metering modes: average metering (AV), spot metering (SP), and AV-SP metering capable of automatically selecting AV or SP according to subject conditions.
    The LED display in the viewfinder indicates correct exposure If you forget to extract the Dark Slide when the finder is being used with the 645 PRO, an LED will flash a warning.

The "3-Way Metering System" on the finder N works, in my experience, in exactly the same way.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was just copying what KEH said. what you wrote about the FE401 also sounded like what KEH talked about the "N" prism.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess the ability to switch "automatically" between spot and average metering might qualify as a sort of "Matrix" metering - but it is common to both versions, so I don't think it serves to differentiate them. KEH's description isn't particularly good.

FWIW, although I own the N version, I don't have the instructions for it. And although I don't own an FE401, I do have the instructions for it

As far as I can tell, the instructions I have may as well be considered as applying to the finder I have, because I see little or no difference.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just in case you have to do a lot of running with your camera; or in case you encounter a freak wind storm while carrying your camera... the new version is vastly superior in terms of aerodynamics!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll need a "high speed" film to cope with all that running around though... :P

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin