Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,683   Online: 883

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Acute Matte screens, though bright, are a bit difficult to focus. The split image rangefinder helps tremendously. But you need to be comfortable with that thing sitting in the middle of the screen all the time. And - like all split image rangefinders - it blacks out with slow lenses beyond f/4) and if the exit pupil moves away too far (close-ups).
    The 'regular' one has a line grid (also helpful, but for other things, of course) and the split image rangefinder.

These things cost a lot, but are worth it. But best for your wallet not to buy new, but find a good used .
    one.

That auction site is a good place to find one. But mind that they indeed sell what they say they sell. all too often they have a box of the screen you want, but not the screen that goes with the box.
    KEH and other places like KEH would be a safer place to buy from, but probably a bit more expensive (though prices on that auction site do regularly go up far too high too. Bidding frenzy, and all that).

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Q.G. and his advise. I really struggled with the cross-hair Acute Matte screens myself, until I got a split-image rangefinder version of it. Shocked by the expense (and faced with refitting three Hasselblads), I tried a cheap Chinese version.

Upon arrival, I opened the box, and at first sight, they looked terrible, really cheap! I tried them anyway, and they are so far off from an Acute Matte screen that a comparison seem ridiculous. However, I must say, I was surprised by the focusing accuracy achieved. I was able to focus repeatably more accurately than with the Acute Matte Cross Hair, despite them being several stops darker.

If you don't mind a mediocre finish and a dark screen (most likely not working with slow lenses), they may be an option for accurate focusing in bright lighting situations, such as landscape photography.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a new Kiev split image screen, which fits the Hasselblad exactly, for MUCH less than a Hasselblad would have cost. I got mine complete and assembled in its metal frame, but those I see for sale now appear to be only one of the two sheets and without frame, for example

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRESNEL-FOCUSING...#ht_1623wt_907

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRESNEL-FOCUSING...b#ht_823wt_907

You would have to take yours apart and replace the existing sheet with the new one. This should not be too difficult and is certainly worth the effort.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got the cross-hair Acute Matte screen myself, and I've grown to like it. I think that if you practice with it you'll get great at focusing with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thedancefloor View Post
    I've got the cross-hair Acute Matte screen myself, and I've grown to like it. I think that if you practice with it you'll get great at focusing with it.

I have it also and I actually liking to like it. Once you get use to it you can focus anywhere in the screen, it just takes practice and trusting yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So no trick to it, just stare at it till it seems focused? Seems like a stupid way to do it when split prisms are available, in my opinion. I'll give it a go, but I'll be looking for a split prism starting tomorrow. Good camera
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    So no trick to it, just stare at it till it seems focused? Seems like a stupid way to do it when split prisms are available, in my opinion. I'll give it a go, but I'll be looking for a split prism starting tomorrow. Good camera
    The thing with Acute Matte screens is that the optical trickery that make them extra bright also make them have a 'depth of focus', and combined with an eye that is able to focus itself to any plane inside that depth of focus, it can be difficult.
    You can't train your eye to focus on only one plane, and not another.

And yes, using a split image rangefinder is the most acurate way to focus.
    But it needs clear lines, and the thing blacks out ratheroften.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You would have to take yours apart and replace the existing sheet with the new one. This should not be too difficult and is certainly worth the effort.
    How do you do that? I bought one and it is just the plastic, no metal frame. How do I take my old one out and put the new one in the metal frame? It doesn't come out ... or doesn't seem to!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's not worth the bother, Katie.

But anyway: The original screens have two metal frames, one inside the other. The edges of the outer frame are bent over the edges of the inner frame, and you will have to bend those sides back again. Doing so, you risk breaking the (cover) glass contained in most Hasselblad screens. But should you get lucky, you can take the two frames apart, and take the screen assembly out and replace it with the Kiev thingy.
    To reassemble the thing, you have to bend the edges of the outer frame over the inner frame again, without damaging the screen. It will work, but i bet not quite, and the screen assembly may well be too wide to drop in the camera again without you pushing hard on it.
    But before you reach that stage, you have to make sure the new screen sits at the right depth (and if not, figure out how the get it there - if you know where "there" is), or else focus will be off.

Too much bother. Not worth it. The Kiev screens are no better than the old style Hasselblad screens with split image rangefinder.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 01-08-2011 at 08:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's not worth the bother, Katie.
    I disagree. The hasselblad focusing screen is contained in a two part frame; just turn it upside down and you will see that the bottom part fits into the top part and is held there by the curved sides of the top part. The focusing screen fits into the bottom part. To disassemble it you do not have to bend the sides of the top part in any extreme way, just push a bit with your thumb until you can pop out the bottom part. The Kiev focusing screen is an exact fit, length, width and depth. Place into the bottom part of the frame and work the top part over it.

As I said in my earlier post, I had got a Kiev focusing screen complete with metal frame, but in fact I had also got a frameless screen. Yesterday, for the first time, I put the frameless one into a hasselblad frame, as described above. It took me less than five minutes.

You can still get a Kiev focusing screen complete with metal frame.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRESNEL-BRIGHT-F...ht_1300wt_1141

The Kiev frame is somewhat deeper than the Hasselblad frame (approx. 0.03") but it still fits nicely into the camera and seems to focus the image just fine. Note, the Kiev screen itself is the same thickness as the Hasselblad screen (It sits on a shim in the Kiev frame). If you have any misgivings about accurate focus with the Kiev frame, then just put a Kiev screen into a Hasselblad frame as described above.

A new, unmarked, and unblemished focusing screen for a small fraction of the outlandish cost of a Hasselblad part. Damn right it's worth the bother!

Ted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin