Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,214   Posts: 1,532,119   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad cross hair focusing screen

Is there a trick to focusing with the screen with cross hairs that don't meet in the middle, no split prism or anything? The screen is bright, I think an early acute-matte, but jeez, with no split prism, it's hard to get critical focus even with the magnifier. Just wondering if any of you have a trick for this.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The trick I used was to buy a split prism screen. Apparently some people like the standard screen, since it's the most common, but it's never been my first choice. The micro-prism screens work well too, I have both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find that it's easiest to find the critical focus dead center in the glass, but even then, I always have to use the pop up magnifier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You don't happen to have a clear screen, do you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, my first idea is to get a split prism screen, but I was hoping this was easier than it looks.

QG: what do you mean?
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a clear glass screen. Cross lines, and a Fresnel lens underneath, but no matte, diffusing structure.
    Consequently very bright, but - unless you know how - impossible to focus.

I don't think your screen is one of those, but nevertheless, difficult to focus, and bright... Might have been.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That sounds like an aerial image screen, that QG is describing. Best used for macro and the like. Agreed, bright but with no DOF info and tricky to focus for sure!

-Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    That sounds like an aerial image screen, that QG is describing. Best used for macro and the like. Agreed, bright but with no DOF info and tricky to focus for sure!

-Ed
    That sounds pretty neat. What do you do, keep your eye focused on the cross hair while focusing the lens to the aerial image? Is it good for macro because of the bright image?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's excellent for high magnification photography, not because the image would be bright at such magnifications, but because then you don't see a thing with regular screens.
    It of course also works in long range photography, but then a regular screen is easier to use.

You don't try to see whether both the reference lines and the bit in the subject you are focussing on are sharp (they always look sharp when you look at them), but while focussing you move your head slightly for left to right. The reference lines move relative to the bit you are focussing on, untill they and that bit are in the same plane. A perspective/parallax thing. So if they move together, but not relative to each other, you have that bit in focus.
    Very accurate, and (with a little practice) very easy to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hate to bring this back on track, but can anyone tell me about any experience with the available bright screens (Acute-matte, etc) that have some sort of split image focusing? Is there a source for these other than the auction site and KEH?

Thanks
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin