Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,780   Online: 973

Shooter
    Medium Format

C330 focusing screens

I have a C330 with the matte focusing screen. Does anyone have any experience with the split image screens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had one for about twenty years I find it best to use it for general photography with the 80mm, 65mm and 55mm wide angle lenses,with the telephoto lenses I prefer to use the standard matte screen.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really like the split screen on my C330f. It is a little difficult to use with the longer lenses though - you really have to look perfectly square-on to the split image otherwise one half will go black. But its benefits outweigh that to me. It makes it easier to see when a scene is in focus, especially in dimmer ambient light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    More or less the above posts reflect my findings. I had a matt screen, replaced it with a 45 degree split and haven't looked back. It gets a little funky on with the 135 & 180 but it's livable.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used the matte screen for about 30 years. always worked perfect for me, most of the time I did use it with the help of the built-in foldable magnifier though. just tried the split screen once but it didn't convince me at all. not only it didn't work with the longer lenses, I had difficulties with low light as well.

reinhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say that if I could have only one screen to use with all the lenses standard , wide, and telephoto I would choose the matte screen.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are two split image screens. The 4 degree prism is the most general purpose (No. 2 for the C330/f, B for the C330s), while the 6 degree one is optimized for shorter lenses (No. 3 for the C330/f, or B2 for the C330s).

Most 35mm cameras with interchangeable screens did the same thing. The prism is sensitive to the divergence of the image light, and they usually fail around f5.6 as well. Microprisms are less sensitive to angular effect but also fail when the aperture drops.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin