Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,579   Online: 866

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji GSW690 - I, II or III?

Hi guys and gals,

I'm looking to pick up a GSW690 to go along with my GW690, and I need some advice on which model to look for.

Have any of you used all three models, or even two? Are the II and III worth the extra money (seems like about $125 more on KEH)? Do some people actually prefer the original over the later models?

Any advice would be appreciated. TIA!

Steve
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a GW670 II and a GSW690 III. To me the II is a little more robust than the III, but I think you would be happy with either. Great cameras!!
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I previously owned a GSW690II, sold it, regretted it, and bought a GSW690III. I agree with gene that the II feels a bit more solid than the III. It may be easier to find replacement parts for the later models, but these are basic cameras that don't have a lot of problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

According to what I've read, the III is actually a little bit heavier than the II, although most people think the II feels more solid. As you say, I'm sure either one will be fine.

Thanks again!
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the III. Better ergonomically, the latest lens coatings, parts more likely to be available, other minor usability improvements.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Buy either the II or III--it makes little difference. The only real 'upgrades' are the rubberized body coating and the horizontal-only bubble-level (basically useless) on the III. I'd get whichever model has been better cared for, or has lower mileage, or has had a CLA. Either way, great cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does the lens on the II have a built-in lens shade, or did that first appear on the III?

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seadrive View Post
    Does the lens on the II have a built-in lens shade, or did that first appear on the III?
    Both the II and III have the built-in shade. I really hate that shade--but not enough to saw it off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Both the II and III have the built-in shade. I really hate that shade--but not enough to saw it off.
    Hahaha... just out of curiosity, what is it about the lens shade that you don't like? Or do you just dislike lens shades in general?

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lens shades--I love. However, the one on the Fuji is permanent and it slides back and forth--usually back, when you don't want it to--covering the shutter speed dial and focusing rings--and making a general nuisance of itself. Your choice: saw or gaffers tape.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin